• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow bar mounting on aftermarket bumper

XJLI

NAXJA Forum User
gonna be flat towing the XJ behind a RV, i have a tow bar but im not sure how to mount it. would it be safe to modify the bar to grab the bumper by the d-ring mounts? any suggestions from people who've done this and/or pics would help would be awesome. jeep is lifted 3" on 33s btw.

Your tow bar has to be tied into the frame rails to be safe. If you bumper is fully tied in, you could attach the mounts to the bumper.

How about some clear and well focused pictures of your bumper mounting points.

bumper is basically a copy of the JCR stage I

IMG_2528.jpg

thats an old pic, but it does the job. tie ins go all the way back to the rear-most factory tow hook point.

What about using something cheap as a spacer to keep it from moving? Hockey puck or similar? Drill holes through the center, and put one on each side of your D-ring mount then slide the pin through? Seems like it'd work ok..

The thing that bothers me is that the tow bar is designed to be rigid, with the appropriate flexibility designed into the connectors on the extensions. You basically want to use the bumper as another tow bar behind the actual tow bar. In order for the connection pieces to work as designed you will need to lock the tow bar to the bumper in such a way that no additional movement is introduced.

Alternatively you might be able to remove the actual tow bar, move the hardware to the bumper, and then use the bumper as a substitute for the original tow bar.

Many tow bars come with brackets that are bolted or welded to the face of the bumper. I flat tow my CJ-7 and that is how my tow bar attaches. You might be able to have a machine shop make you brackets that attach to the D-ring mounts ( as long as they are properly and safely tied in ). If a tow dolly is an option, I would definitely tow the XJ that way.

bumper is basically a copy of the JCR stage I

IMG_2528.jpg

thats an old pic, but it does the job. tie ins go all the way back to the rear-most factory tow hook point.

If the brackets go completely thru to "all" the mounting points then your good to go(with a proper tow bar)! That style of tow/mount has been used for 50yrs!

Contact Currie Enterprises, I think they have a tow bar and mounting kit for bumpers with "D" ring attachments.

Back