• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel question?

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
I need some help with some fuel problems.

my 89 jeep is running rough after it is warm. i have the hood vents cut and in place and it still does this. i know its a heat soaking problem because if i pop the hood when i am parked and restart the engine it wont do it anymore.

my ideas:

replace the fuel rail. if i do this does anyone know where i can get an aftermarket one that wont mount right to the manifold?

i also want to get the mustang injectors. what model # and where can i get the cheapest ones?

off subject but i need to know what you guys think.

My jeep has a 3 inch lift and 31's on it and the front end shakes and there is a clunking sound when i hit a pot hole of go over a speed bump in the front left side. Should i replace all the bushings or what do you think. i tightened all the nuts and bolts and cant find anything that would be causing this. It also shakes when i hit 65mph and will get steady at 75ish. what can be causing this? should i lower the transfer case? if so where can i get the lowering kit or whats the best way to do this for a cheap price?

First, the heat soak issue is 99+.

Ford (Bosch) injectors, orange-top, 19 lbs are what you are looking for.

Used in 3.8 L and up Ford engines, up to and including V8s in the F350 vans.

Grab a set at your local salvage yard, about $30. You can find them on eBay all the time, search for Mustang Injectors. You can purchase reconditioned and flow-matched sets from the seller lucky7autoinjectors on eBay. You can order online, http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/ has a good rep.

I know the heat soak problem is not normal on my year but what could be causing it to run rough after it is warm and has been parked for a little while. I will run great when it is cold and while it is hot but when i turn it off after it is hot and restart it it will run like crap.i have tried a few times to get the heat out of the engin compartment and when i do the jeep will run like normal after i turn it off and turn it back on. any thought that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

what else can i do to the jeep to get better gas millage out of it?
i would like to replace the wiring harness that connects to the injectors because mine is looking pretty bad. Can i buy a replacement and if so where can i buy one?

Rather than the heat soak boiling fuel in the rail and forcing it out of the injectors due to the lack of a fuel return line and the new and improved manifolds (particularly those with the dual pre-CATs), what you most likely have is a bad injector(s) leaking fuel into the cylinder(s), and the situation is worse when warm, but it is going on as long as there is sufficient pressure in the system.

Replace the injectors, especially if you still have the two-piece body original injectors aka XJ BBQ starters. They leak, and right over top of the exhaust manifold.

Replacing the injectors will go a long way to improving mpg.

You are pretty much stuck with salvage yard, Craigslist or your regional chapter for someone parting out an XJ for a harness.

sounds like i will just keep my eye out. thanks for all the info Joe. i will let you know when i get the injectors changed and see what it does.

Back