• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01xj gauge says alter. is not charging

Tcarsten

NAXJA Forum User
On my buddies 01xj the gauge says its not charging right we took the alter. off and had it tested, was told it works fine. changed the cables nothing,
I cant figure it out, i have 2 jeeps 91xj and 89yj and nothing like this has ever happened to me.

I'm lost

any help would be awsome

Bench testing is not always conclusive.

Take a meter. Use DC volts, 20 volt range if meter is not autoranging. Put one lead on each of your battery connections. Run engine at high idle. Should have approx. 14.4 volts. This way, you'll know for sure if the alternator output is acceptable.

Cleaning and freshening all connections electrical is never a bad idea.

I agree with the previous advice, and I'd add a little to it. Make sure it maintains ~14.4 volts after you add as much load to it as you can. Fan on high, head lights on, etc. It may dip a little, but should still be able to keep up.

Getting a few posts lately that the Nippondenso alternators with the PCM charging control will report OK when tested at parts stores but are in fact bad.

It would appear that the parts stores testers, at least some of them, can't handle the late model alternators OR the people testing the alternators aren't using the equipment properly.

Back