• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS axle shafts on non-ABS XJ?

96 XJ Sport

NAXJA Forum User
Searchy, searchy, but no findy...

I just picked up some D30 axle shafts from the JY for my non-ABS 96. Pulled them from a 92 with ABS to ensure I'd get the bigger u-joints. Of course the ABS shafts have the tone rings which I don't need. Before I get it torn down, can anyone tell me if I must remove the tone rings or will they not get in the way?

I found on another forum someone that thought the ABS shafts would probably work with the non-ABS knuckle without removing the tone rings, but nothing definite. Can anyone confirm?

I'd also bet on that. Checking my parts catalog to see if there are any differences other than axle shafts.

EDIT:
steering knuckles are the same. Axleshafts are different. Housing is the same. Unit bearings are the same.

Isn't the larger axle shaft benefit from the 97+ ABS shafts? That might be the bigger U-joints not the stronger axles, not sure, I'm pretty fuzzy on this stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Good to know before I get it torn down.

kastein, I don't know anything about larger axleshafts in 97+, but for the u-joints I have seen posted on here many times that 89-95 w/ABS have the bigger u-joints and 96+ have them regardless of whether they have ABS.

Thanks everyone. Good to know before I get it torn down.

kastein, I don't know anything about larger axleshafts in 97+, but for the u-joints I have seen posted on here many times that 89-95 w/ABS have the bigger u-joints and 96+ have them regardless of whether they have ABS.
OK, that's it - wasn't sure.

Back