• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor stumbling

CrazyEli

NAXJA Forum User
OK I have a 93 Cherokee, with a manual tranny and a 96 4.0 put in it. My problem is that every three or four min or so my motor will loose power and almost die and then catch itself (whether I'm moving or not). I figured it must be the crank position sensor. So I replaced it but unless you have to set a gap on the sensor that wasn't the problem. Any ideas? tps maybe? Thanks :helpme:

Always need to review status of tuneup hardware when you have symptoms.

Spark plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor. May be something else but unless you have fresh secondary ignition components, you may spend money and time chasing a simple issue.

Any check engine light? If so, pull codes

In the absence of any codes and with fresh tuneup hardware, it's possible that (among many other things), you have a flaky ignition coil. Acts kind of like a crank sensor when it drops out.

I had the same issue on my 94 - auto, it'd stumble a bit as i give it gas then it'd catch, sometimes it'd die.. I replaced TPS.. done. only $40.

Newby here looking for some direction.

Having an annoying stumble off idle and jerkiness when letting off the gas...Having to compensate with clutch and would really prefer to not have to do this. Always seem to have to put more foot into the pedal than should be necessary at cruising speeds. I also notice a sag under hard acceleration and the idle could be smoother too. Just replaced the wires, cap, rotor and plugs (oe type Champions...not my choice but what they had that day). Secondary ignition made no performance difference, however the plugs were pretty worn and the wires could shock at touch.

'96 4.0 5 Speed 102,000 miles ex Forest Service.

Thanks and happy holidays.

Justin

Back