• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog Lights

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ. I need to know the color of the wire in the connector on the left side (C106?) front of the engine bay that comes from the factory fog light switch. The switch is there, but the harness isn't behind the headlights. Jeep sez this one had fogs from the factory, so someone musta torn them out. I think the wire is light blue.

Also, where is power out of the fog light relay, and why are there two of them?

I'm installing some cheap Pilot lights, do I need their relay?

Thanks in advance!!

Here's the page from the 2000 FSM. Click the thumbnail to get the full image.

There are 2 relays because there are 2 switches. The headlamp switch when on, provides power to the FL switch through a relay. When you turn the fl switch on, it energizes the second relay and lights up the fogs. Turning either switch of, then shuts of the fogs. The fogs are also controlled by the dimmer switch.

Thanks!! This is just what I needed!!

So I hook the LB up to positive and ground the lamps and it should work just like the factory set-up?

Should I ground to G106 through the connector (C106) or just ground to the frame? Does it matter?

Last edited:
Okay, I got no light. I hooked lt. blue to positive, I connected a common ground at G106 and ran that to both lamps, used weather-proof butt-connectors, and got nothing with headlights or without.

I didn't use the relay/fuse from the kit, figuring I already had it protected OEM style.

What did I do wrong? What should I try next?

I went back out to the garage and tried to check the circuits with a DMM. I'm not sure I'm getting power via the light blue wire. Can I tap into the pcm at the relay and run another wire over to the lights without by-passing the switch on the dash?

FitchVA said:
do you have the OEM fog relay installed?

Both relays are there. I tried replacing them, still no lights. The OEM switch lights up when activated if the headlights or parking lights are on, so I think I have power from Fog Relay One back that way, right?

Hey! I figured it out! Had a short in one of the connections, and blew a fuse. Fixed those and they work great. Well, as great as you'd expect $20.00 Pilot fogs to work. Crappy beam pattern (Think full-choke), but nice and bright. When I get a front winch bumper I'll but on something better.

Thanks again for the help, guys. As always, you rock!

Back