• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Melted clutch line...

89cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
Theres a plastic line that runs off the clutch cylinder to the slave cylinder on my 91 4.0l. The line melted today and I lost all my clutch. Tried to do a quick trail repair with a piece of rubber hose and some hose clamps, needless to say it didnt work. I am still not getting any pedal, and ofcourse the clutch is not working. Any ideas on the best way to fix it, or how I go about taking that line out and repacing it??

Theres a plastic line that runs off the clutch cylinder to the slave cylinder on my 91 4.0l. The line melted today and I lost all my clutch. Tried to do a quick trail repair with a piece of rubber hose and some hose clamps, needless to say it didnt work. I am still not getting any pedal, and ofcourse the clutch is not working. Any ideas on the best way to fix it, or how I go about taking that line out and repacing it??

I've not seen the 1991-up lines, but I would imagine that the line could be removed and replaced - the catch is that the lower end is some funky quick-connect (the Peugeot, 1987-1988.5, used an SAE1/4" flared fitting.)

However, if you can pull the line out you should be able to have a hydraulic shop make one for you in rather short order. Then, just make sure you've got enough line and an anchor point to tie it well away from the exhaust.

Is there a flare nut or some variety of "pin fitting" at the master cylinder that you can work with?

I'm actually going to go and work on it right now. It was such a long day yesterday trying to get that fixed and it not working, and then having to drive 40 miles with no clutch. The top fitting, I have no idea what it is, I was told some sort of clip fitting?? the one at the bottom can just screw off so I am good there. Hopefully I can get it fixed today, lets see...

Unfortunately the permanent fix is to replace the line.
I did do this in a pinch and drove on it for a couple weeks though. Cut out the melted part, take an appropriate length of metal brake line(about 3"s more than needed), and sharpen the ends. Heat up one end red hot and jam it in the plastic line as far as you can. Repeat with the other end, let cool, and bleed the system.
I still carry this line as a spare.

I repaired mine. Cut out a small section of the line and use a compression fitting to make the butt joint. It should only cost a buck or two and take 5 minutes to fix. U

Be sure to properly heat shield it from the exhaust if you keep the plastic line.

example fitting. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1PZY7?Pid=search

theres a pin on the top, that you gotta drive thru, then it releases the plastic line (hard to find, but not impossible, look around)

I was under the impression the plastic lines did not come into the xj till 94. The whole system comes from the manufacture prebled. Their is a replacement metal or braided line that 4WD Hardware or Quadratech sells IIRC.

Really hot exaust + water = steam

Steam + plastic = soft

soft plastic line + applied pressure = ruptured line.

So, the puddle was about 14 inches deep, sue me. :D

I had visions of the scene from Dante's Peak with the crew-cab pickup and the tires on fire! :eek:

I melted my clutch line in my 91 comanche a couple years ago. Same thing as already posted hot manifold and a splash of water while I had it buried in a mud hole. I got mine home and called Advanced Adapters and got their fitting for the master. It adapted the pin fit to -4 AN fitting. Then I ordered a braided stainless hose and a -4 AN fitting to a 1/4 brake line fitting. I had to bend a piece of 1/4 brake line into a 90 degree U and removed the quick coupler fitting. Bolted it all together and bled the clutch and now I never should have to worry about burning it again. Plus the clutch pedal has never this awesome.

Back