• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fan pulley bearing?

thechief86

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so my mechanical fan is all wobbly, and it's because the little bearing in that aluminum a/c bracket has gone bad. last time i had this issue on my old xj, i just replaced the whole bracket with one from the junkyard, but i couldn't find one that was compatible with my a/c compressor, so i ended up going with a different compressor, and lost my a/c in the process. wtf do i do to about this bearing?! i'd really like to just delete that pulley and fan altogether and just put a taurus fan there. i know a guy who did this on a 2000, but he did a lot of work to make it right, including removing the a/c condensor, and grindin on the alternator bracket a little, and runnin a shorter belt. i'm down to clearance the bracket and runnin a shorter belt, but i wanna make that taurus fan fit. i'm iguana go search "taurus fan" now. any other ideas? replacing the bearing?:helpme:

it's an 89, sorry. wagoneer limited, 4.0L, AW4, np242, 35/35.
4" lift, 30's, 284k miles.
i've gone to all the parts stores, and they can't find anything close to what i need. not really wantin to go to a junkyard for this one if i can help it....

hmmm.... ok then. i talked to a friend of mine today that has the bracket, fan, and pulley all in his garage, not being used for anything. i'm gonna hit him up...:D

if you don't want to junkyard, other two options are ask about bracket at the dealer, or take it to a machine shop and ask them to rebuild the bearings

The bearing is not rebuildable, I have tried. I finally gave up and ordered the whole bracket from the dealer for my 90. The bearing/shaft wil come out of the bracket but the shaft will not come out of the bearing. I tried heat and 12 ton press and natta.

You can remove the fan and delete that idler pulley and then use a shorter belt, there are some on here that have done it. I plan on doing this to mine this winter and go with 2 XJ E-fans.

Back