• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99+ 4.0 Starters

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just to let everyone know...the 99+ 4.0 starters from I believe every model Heep are smaller, lighter and quieter than the older ones. I put one in my 90 the other day, I could not believe how much more efficient it sounds when starting. I had run a rebuilt one and then an OEM one from a later year Cherokee, I'm thinking mid 90s and neither sounded near as good as this one does. Anyway I thought this might be helpful for you guys who have the horizontal oil filter adapter and run those big filters. I know I read somewhere that if you run that huge one it can fall on the starter and short it while doing oil changes. Anyway here's the proof, it doesn't look near as significant in the picture but if you really look at them side to side it is much smaller. A side benefit is you don't have to have an 8mm wrench to undo the solenoid wire anymore, they changed it to a plug.
Starter2.jpg

Starter-NewvsOld.jpg

Last edited:
Overall is what? 1/2" shorter? Might be worth looking into next time though, thanks. Do you have a closeup of the electrical connects? Thanks...

Yucca-Man said:
Overall is what? 1/2" shorter? Might be worth looking into next time though, thanks. Do you have a closeup of the electrical connects? Thanks...
Yeah I mean it's not a huge difference, I was more amazed by how much lighter it is. I don't have a closeup of the electrical connections but the way the + cable connects is the same. The solenoid wire just comes down into a plug that plugs onto a spade terminal and locks on. If you're familiar with any of the 97+ XJ plugs you'll know you have to slide a red tab out first and then press down on a part of the plug to release it. That's what it's like. If you're still interested I can get you a picture I just don't know how detailed I can get it since its in my Jeep now.
sjx40250 said:
What is the price difference?
For me it was $25.00 at the junkyard, that's off of an '01. It really just depends if you have junkyards that have 99+ XJs in your area. I noticed when I looked at some of the aftermarket parts suppliers websites, the 98 down starters are usually like $90 for a reman and the 99 and ups are like $200, apparently there are some major differences, I'm just yet to figure out what they are.

i believe 99+ is a further gear reduction starter. they cost more because they are more complicated. they are made by mitsubishi (sp?) in a suburb of my home town of cincinnati. whoo hoo!

CJ~Abuzer said:
The starter for my 2000 is $169.00 at Pep Boys. Brand new Bosch with lifetime warranty
That's nice to know.

posted this tip before;

i'm running M1-301 on my '98, when engine cools down a little put a piece of 12 inch square plastic, like from a hefty contracter bag, between filter and starter. clean job all around, no sparks.

also, liquid electrical insulator (GOOD stuff, 3M brand, elect. supply house) slathered over any connections you don't want to corrode or check every time you hard core guys go out ;) works wonders, basically a liquid condom made of kryptonite :D

mikeny59 said:
posted this tip before;

i'm running M1-301 on my '98, when engine cools down a little put a piece of 12 inch square plastic, like from a hefty contracter bag, between filter and starter. clean job all around, no sparks.

also, liquid electrical insulator (GOOD stuff, 3M brand, elect. supply house) slathered over any connections you don't want to corrode or check every time you hard core guys go out ;) works wonders, basically a liquid condom made of kryptonite :D

Definately quote worthy

I took a class in Creative Writing... highest grade... :laugh3: (ok paid the prof. off...female, get the picture?!?)

Last edited:
Dove bars... I have standards, too...

Back