• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shop wants $163.00 to change an o2 sensor part included

argetni

NAXJA Forum User
The part cost for me is $33 o2 sensor (Walker 250-24078) from amazon plus $17 for the o2 sensor socket set from amazon as well.

I think the sensor on the car is original so it has 10 years and 160k of rust, but I hate to pay 3x for something I can do myself.

My car maintenance experience so far is limited to oil changes, air intakes, boost gaugues, FPRs, shocks, and struts/springs.

I think I can handle this. but I do hesitate a bit.

Its a connector, and a "nut" basically. Especially since you will ahve the crowsfoot type socket/wrench you should be good to go. Maybe spray some PB blaster on it to lossen it up a bit before removal.

Its a connector, and a "nut" basically. Especially since you will ahve the crowsfoot type socket/wrench you should be good to go. Maybe spray some PB blaster on it to lossen it up a bit before removal.

PB sounds like a good idea but wait until it starts to burn when the exhaust heats up.:wow:

I just drove mine for a few minutes to heat up the pipe and then let it cool down enough to touch it with gloves on. I had no issues getting the old one loose and it was the original and the jeep was 18 years old when I did it.

Look at it this way - you can buy a full set of the tools you'll need to change it with what you'll save by doing it yourself (you only need one size wrench, but the $130 saved will pay for a whole set rather nicely...)

I've done o2 sensors, including the ones on the pre-cats on a friend's grand cherokee, in under 15 minutes each - with only one wrench and no ramps, jack, or lift. The only one I ever had trouble with was installed without antiseize and had been rounded off by the PO, and was on a Dodge.

you wouldnt need the special o2 socket since you are replacing the sensor you can just cut the plug off the sensor and use a regular 6pt socket and big breaker bar or a impact with alot of pb to make it go a little easyer

^ correct, though you will need a deep socket if you don't get an O2 sensor socket. Either that or a sawzall/angle grinder and just cut the sensor body down till you can fit a regular socket over it.

You can borrow/rent the O2 sensor socket from parts stores, or buy one for about $10.

I don't like the thought of putting too much force on the exhaust piping and causing some seals to mess up, gassing you with carbon monoxide, so I think PB blasting the hell out of the old sensor is a good idea. Just make sure you don't get any on the new one.

Cant you remove them with an open ended wrench? Im thinking thats what I did...? maybe.
All the various repairs start to blend together after a while...

Either way it doesnt take that long. Its a pretty simple project if you dont mind getting your hands a little dirty.

Cant you remove them with an open ended wrench? Im thinking thats what I did...? maybe.
All the various repairs start to blend together after a while...

Either way it doesnt take that long. Its a pretty simple project if you dont mind getting your hands a little dirty.

I used an open end wrench on all four of my o2 sensors (two per XJ). No problems.

I'll do anyone's sensors for $150, parts included. Anyone? Anyone? How about 5 bucks for labor and you buy the part? OK, I'll do it for free since working on a Jeep is like therapy.

^^ X2 on that :roflmao:

I think I charged my friend with the grand cherokee a beer, don't really remember. He had to buy the wrench I needed too, at that point I didn't have a good set. I also used an open ended wrench - however, if it's in really tight or is somewhat rusted, you want to thread the cable through the closed end and use that, as it will have a much lower chance of rounding the sensor off.

7/8" End wrench works on most.

And the price they quoted you sounds fair for a denso O2 and labor. You have to remember a shop has got to show a profit or it goes bye bye. Do it yourself if you can, its usually cheaper...til you eff one up :D

...You have to remember a shop has got to show a profit or it goes bye bye. :D

Personally, I don't have a problem with a shop charging for maintenance, but that price does seem exhorbatant considering the ease and relative simplicity of install. And remember, that was $163 PER sensor.

Economic survival does mean we need to learn DIY skills. Save the money and put it towards some sway bar discos.

those damn o2 sensor sockets are USELESS on my xj... i bought one a long time ago, used it ONCE, and it's been sitting ever sinse... theres no room on mine to get a socket wrench up there.

just put an open end/adjustable wrench on it, it's easy as pie.
put the cash you save into the jeep

Use an O2 sensor socket (best) or a flare nut wrench (acceptable) - I've seen people round the hexes off using open-end wrenches. Then they've got to pay me to get the job done.

Helpful hints:
- Before you start, make sure there's a small packet of never-seez in the HEGO sensor box. If there is not, get some! Treat this point as important...
- Before removing the sensor, idle the engine for a few minutes (or do it shortly after you get home) so it's warm when you remove it - it's easier that way. Ideally, work on it while it's still as hot as you can stand sticking your hands in.
- Carefully apply never-seez to the new sensor - on the threads only! If you don't, it's probably not coming out next time (not without some seriously evil words, anyhow. I've had to deal with people who screwed this up - I think it took me two hours to get the sensor out last time I had to handle this!)
- If you can get the socket in there (you should be able to,) use a torque wrench and tighten the new sensor to 19-21 pound-feet. Again, treat this point as important (too tight, and it ain't coming back out. Then, you've got to find someone like me and pay him...)

It's a simple job - you can usually DIY it yourself the first time in a half-hour or so, and some vehicles are even easier (I did one on a Honda recently as part of a 100k service, sensor took me five whole minutes to change. And that was working slowlyl!)

Buy a Bosch o2 sensor, leave the Chinese crap for Chinese cars.

Use an O2 sensor socket (best) or a flare nut wrench (acceptable) - I've seen people round the hexes off using open-end wrenches. Then they've got to pay me to get the job done.

Helpful hints:
- Before you start, make sure there's a small packet of never-seez in the HEGO sensor box. If there is not, get some! Treat this point as important...
- Before removing the sensor, idle the engine for a few minutes (or do it shortly after you get home) so it's warm when you remove it - it's easier that way. Ideally, work on it while it's still as hot as you can stand sticking your hands in.
- Carefully apply never-seez to the new sensor - on the threads only! If you don't, it's probably not coming out next time (not without some seriously evil words, anyhow. I've had to deal with people who screwed this up - I think it took me two hours to get the sensor out last time I had to handle this!)
- If you can get the socket in there (you should be able to,) use a torque wrench and tighten the new sensor to 19-21 pound-feet. Again, treat this point as important (too tight, and it ain't coming back out. Then, you've got to find someone like me and pay him...)

It's a simple job - you can usually DIY it yourself the first time in a half-hour or so, and some vehicles are even easier (I did one on a Honda recently as part of a 100k service, sensor took me five whole minutes to change. And that was working slowlyl!)

The original owner must have taken good care of my XJ, the o2 sensor came right out no problem. Idling the engine for a few minutes probably helped.

And the torque wrench! Do not leave that part out!
Funny story with my ex-buddies Alero. He replaced his o2 sensor him self and didnt bother to check the torque on it. Must have just been hand tight. Either way, he heard a scraping a few months later, found out his o2 sensor worked its way out, then it must have fell out the hole when he hit a bump or something and was dragging along the ground. Your exhaust sounds reeaal funky with no o2 sensor in it. :doh:

5-90s right, its a simple job even if you arent too familiar with cars. Just keep the DIY attitude and you will do all right.

Personally, I don't have a problem with a shop charging for maintenance, but that price does seem exhorbatant considering the ease and relative simplicity of install. And remember, that was $163 PER sensor.

At my shop it would cost you...

37.50 labor. Thats a half hour labor.
89.45 parts. Thats a Bosch o2 sensor.
7.83 tax. No way around that.

134.78 Total. So his quote might be bordering on too high, but the labor rate at my shop is pretty low, some other places are over $100/hour. And that prices is not PER sensor, the labor goes down for each additional sensor. The Flat rate guide assumes if you doing four, you only had to rack the car once, go get the tools once, order the parts once, make out a bill once, etc. So the second through fourth sensors only pay .3 hours each.

Shops don't just make up prices, they get them out of a book, they do get to make up their hourly rate though.

Back