• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where should i start with this jeep?

pavester

NAXJA Forum User
bringing her home thursday, no idea on when was the last fluid changes. or any maintanance records.

what would you first do? Then where would you go in terms of modifying it?

my list is, change all fluids,new tires,source replacement body panels,then clean her up and try and title and register her.

futures plans include lift,meaty tires,cb. i really like the idea of a mild trail rig, able to take me anywhere i want to go fishing or camping.

jeep in question.
10832_214891439281_643019281_4142150_7742586_n.jpg

i got some q uestions though, its my first jeep. 89 xj,4.0/aw4/np231. what fluids yall suggest for the drivetrain? oils yall suggest?

Long Arm lift kit. it will pretty much give your jeep a complete new suspension and some steering parts so its a nice upgrade and "mainteance" and "tune-up" but you lift it up in the air instead.

other is lockers and some bumpers and rock sliders and tires would be the first mods i would do.

Whats the budget, like they said high mileage fluids and synthetics.

Get some body parts but never go to the dealer or you'll get raped on prices.

And search around here for some ideas on what ever subject your interested in. Lifts, mods.

For any question you have first "search" or people will just get mad at you.

Welcome! Pavester.

Whats the budget, like they said high mileage fluids and synthetics.

Get some body parts but never go to the dealer or you'll get raped on prices.

And search around here for some ideas on what ever subject your interested in. Lifts, mods.

For any question you have first "search" or people will just get mad at you.

Welcome! Pavester.

well if i ever sell my damn lift kit and tires from my 04 dodge ram ill have about a grand to put into the jeep.

i like the idea of a lift on the jeep:worship:, ive been looking at the rough country 4.5

i do, lsjc(lonestar jeep club) is my local jeep club. one of the members is helping me trailer the jeep home and bringing me to a local lunch meet to introduce me.

im thinking a 4.5 lift with 32 m/t would prove more than enough for most mild offroad rides.

well i would do every little maintenance thing first. fluids and body panels could run you a bit. check all the u joints and TRE's.

as far as lift, the 4.5" rc is a good bet with that budget. then whatever tire you use. after that i would really start jumping into armor: diff covers, rock sliders (for rocker panels), bumpers/recovery points, and so on.

well i would do every little maintenance thing first. fluids and body panels could run you a bit. check all the u joints and TRE's.

as far as lift, the 4.5" rc is a good bet with that budget. then whatever tire you use. after that i would really start jumping into armor: diff covers, rock sliders (for rocker panels), bumpers/recovery points, and so on.

tre? i need some sort of list of all the acronyms haha

and yes ive learned armor is a must, i need to get some measurments so i can have my old highschool shop class make a project out or making me some bumpers :shhh:

never had a 4wd what type of fluid in the tcase and diffs? im a mega newb to jeeps.

appreciate all the help guys.

general concensus is ATF in the tcase (people will argue for the cheapest while others swear by mobil 1)

i do cheap 75-90 in the diffs

Dont bother buying dumb new road tires, just jump right into the lift and bigger tires so you dont waste your own time and money. No point buying street tires if youre just gonna get different ones later.

Edit: After you get all the essentials sorted out ;)

FYI, an 89 is refered to as a renix(renault/bendix) model. this refers to the engine management system. direct swap engine parts come from 87-90 xjs and body parts from 87-95 should fit along with 84-86 body parts.

when you search for info about your 89, search for info that refers to "renix". if you go to www.lunghd.com and go to on site tech, look for anything renix and also down load the 4.0 liter multi-port fuel injection manual(1987-90 renix system).

lift kits are universal with all years, but driveline and engine parts do differ from 91- and up.

You'd be surprised where you can go on 30s. I ran mine with 3" up front and 1.5" out back (maybe, the leafs were stock and sagged, so I was 1.5" above sagged), and 30" tires. With that setup it went all over the place.

For the body panels, keep a close eye (go every day or two just to cruise through) on your local pull-a-part's cherokee section. I have all factory paint on my XJ (even after an accident that resulted in 2 body panels being destroyed) and a full set of spare fenders, also with factory paint, all for less than $150 due to using this tactic. Body panels off anything from 84 through 96 will fit your XJ though ones from the same year will be a closer color match if you care. All it takes is a little bit of patience (might be weeks or months before one with the same paint shows up), a socket set, and a torx bit set.

general concensus is ATF in the tcase

Lets clear this up a bit. By ATF, not the official ATF+ 3 or 4 or what ever, but dex/mer III. Just use the same fluid you put in the AW4.

Back