• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fyi...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
If you ever strip/crossthread (d$#n rtv) 8.25" dif cover holes, metric 10mm x 1.50 tap works nicely, no need to drill hole :rattle:

17 mm socket...

Got impatient did we :D If bolts don't go in by hand easily a bigger wrench is not the answer... that bigger wrench thing only works for removal... :D :D :D

Richard, we both know how we feel about rtv, last time I did the rear, things just started slip slidin' away, know what I mean?!? :cry:

I knew a year later what was coming, but I WAS READY. ;)

Friends don't let friends not use gaskets :D

Have a nice Sunday...

Why don't you guys like RTV so much? I used it when I did my front axle, didn't have a problem with it, plus autozone didn't have a gasket for the D30, the guy barely knew what I was talking about.

rocklandxjer said:
maybe they got it in the bolt holes...

Thats ONE of the things I hate about it, $hit gets everywhere, now if it's an overnite thing I *might* lay a bead and take my time then let it setup for a few hours but otherwise I prefer to use a gasket and indian head.

Maybe a threaded stud or two (to replace bolts) to initionally position the cover, but lacking a lift, IMHO it's a major pita to position that cover on and find and thread a bolt into the dif casting while on one's back.

I do play a brain surgeon on tv, so maybe it's just MY lack of manual dexterity :looney:

Blaine, bolts will come out w/no problem. Just a messy installation sub for a rubber gasket/hi-tack - if you an find one...

I only use RTV. It seems to be more forgiving when abused.

As for messes, etc I don't have a problem, I guess I just know how to work RTV :laugh3: And I start the bolts by hand and run 'em in with my air ratchet.

Back