• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

waggy front 44 question

heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm able to pick up a 84 grand wagoneer axle for cheap, the problem is that it has the vaccum disconnect. Can it be converted to a single shaft from a 80-82 non CAD style? Or is it a waste of time? according to Mr.N's site, he says to steer clear form this axle.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Not 100% but wouldn't it be like a 30 with a vaccum disco?
Why couldn't you cover it with a plate and use a shaft from a non-disco axle?
Stukboy

It would probably be the same thing as the vac setup on the D30 in which case i say look for a cable actuator or new shafts and a cover plate.

I'm personally for the cable actuator if you can find one.. You could put in an automatic style locker and use the cable to make it selectable, you would have the option of 2 low gearing too. But maybe that's just me haha. A D44 is strong enough i think you wouldn't have to worry about the strength of the disco axle shaft. Especially in an xj.

Just my .02

I never recall anybody using one.........maybe why no responses. I'd steer clear.

I could be wrong but aren't the waggy 44s vac setup in with the carrier? I could be wrong but we just junked a waggy 44 axle housing and the line were all at the diff cover, and I thought thats why people either steer clear or deals with them.
Yes it is on the carrier? Thats why I thought maybe the carrier and drivers side axle shaft could be replaced with a non CAD style.
Thanks for the input!

you could replace the carrier and shafts and make it work, but i'd try to get rid of the disco by pluggin the hole somehow....
that's what i'm refering to. can i actually just repace the carrier, and a the driver side shaft? because the the hole for the diconnect is on the diff cover if i'm not mistaken? i'm not sure if this is possible? i can't find any info on this conversion.

Back