• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doh! Prongs from new blower motor not compatible w/ wire harness...

Steve-o94XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings all...

I'm replacing my resistor and blower motor (I've done some searches here - heater only worked on highest setting, AND the blower howls like a banshee on other settings).

Anyway, I pick up the parts from the local stealership, get everything bolted in, and go to plug it in, and I notice the connector on the blower motor is two-prong, but the prongs are oriented similar to that of a wall socket...whereas my wire harness has two horizontal prongs side-by-side.

The guy at the stealership said that my part # has been superseded a couple times over the years, but his system didn't tell him about any connector change - he couldn't help me out with any sort of adapter, or other part.

He said I could just cut the wires and splice them (probably easy enough), but I'm wondering if anybody else has had this issue and what you did about it?

Should I cut & splice? Get a motor at Auto Zone/Advance, etc., instead?

Any thoughts?

Thanks...

Dealer motor is going to be best performer so if you didn't mind the price I'd keep it. Either splice the wires or go to the junkyard and cut a pigtail from a similar plug and splice that on. If I want the option of going back to stock, I will cut some wire off the original motor and splice the junkyard pigtail to that--it gives two connectors but it's reversible and forward compatible

I'd cut and splice. If they are standard 1/4" flag terminals / quick disconnects, just get a decent lever crimper (not the crappy pliers-like ones, the ones built like a set of compound tinsnips, autismzone actually has a pretty decent pair for $15) and some quick disconnects and wire it up. If it blows the wrong way, just swap the wires ;)

Nothing wrong with a motor from AZ or O'Reilly -- first quality Continental/Siemens/VDO #PM272 for around $40. You would probably have to wait overnight although O'Reilly used to keep these in stock.

Do you still have the old motor? Use a terminal tool and remove the wires from the old connector on the old motor. Remove the wires from the new motor from the new connector. Insert wires from new motor into old connector. Plug it in.

Back