• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What else could i do to get my rear to flex more?

AJTorris

NAXJA Forum User
I am at 6.5 of lift on 33s but im in the market for 35s soon. Now I know some people may think i am lifted way too high and some are ok with it. I know i will get different answers from different people but i was curious what everyone thought. I dont plan on going any bigger than i am at right now in the front. The rear still has about 2 inches to work with to being completly level with the front but I just need to work on my rear springs a little. My rear has very limited travel and i would like it to be able to do a little more. I would like to get my rear to be able to droop maybe a few more inches just to keep up with my front a little more. Or am i hasta
Here is a shot of my front
DSCF4475-1.jpg

And here is the rear it droops a little more than that but this is the only pic i can find right now
DSCF4537.jpg

Hows your shackle angle? You can try HD's shackle relocation brackets

I thought about my suspension setup before i bought the parts. What i wanted was about 4 inches of lift and lots of flex, so what i did was do a 3in lift kit and then add 1 1/2in shackles and poly pucks. i put the extended shackles on to allow the leaf pack to strech and flex more. I also took those bolts out of the clips on the leaf pack to allow the leaf to relax more in droop.

You need to get a flatter spring in the rear. I have a 5" lift with 3.5" leafs and 1.5" shackle, and my jeep flexes great in the rear.

You need to get a flatter spring in the rear. I have a 5" lift with 3.5" leafs and 1.5" shackle, and my jeep flexes great in the rear.
Flatter leafs and longer shackles at the right angle will give you the most flex. You can also look at revolver shackles which allow the springs to rotate which adds to flex. Alot of people have said they did not like the revolvers though.

I have same problem with my 6.5" lift long arms kit from Iron Rock Off-Road

my shackles angle are pretty much vertical and i believe thats the problem so i ordered HD offroad's shackle relocator to fix this issue.

DSC02520.jpg

DSC02521.jpg

Once the shackle is pointing even with the spring, it can't drop anymore, so look at it and see where you're at. A longer shackle helps the spring to drop more, and so does more shackle angle at ride height. MJ shackles are 1" longer than XJ shackles, which is good, but aftermarket shackles are longer. If you have 2" to play with consider boxing the shackle box and plating the bottom, then hang a shackle from the bottom moving the mounting point forward a little to increase the shackle angle.

Have you removed your shocks and dropped the rear end as far as it will go to see what's actually stopping it? More rear droop could be as simple as a little longer shock, or moving the lower shock mount up.

Revolver shackles are dead, horrible performance, as is running with no bolts in the spring clamps. While both can give more droop, they do a very lousy job of transferring power on climbs. Remember that a leaf spring is a control arm as well as a spring, so the spring locates the axle and all torque gets transferred to the body through the spring. When the spring doesn't have enough control, like with no spring clamps or hinged shackles, then power doesn't get transferred well and it won't climb as good. Plus, with no spring clamps the spring can wear out much faster. I tried no spring clamps, it flexed like crazy, but the rig worked better when I put them back on.

Nice rig.
Want to go really nuts? Do a coil over. If you think you may go that way someday. Save time money, work on little mods and just bit the bullet and do it.
No other mod will come near to the flex a coil over will give you if done right. It can improve ride and reduce breakage.
If you can weld and use a hacksaw? It don't have to cost you your first born son. :)

You need longer shackles, that will help alot..I have a RC lift(6.5) i get good flix out of it i think.
needmore.jpg

I need more bump stop in front, i almost rub

Yes, coilovers are an excellent option for getting lots of flex on a full bodied XJ. Cheap, too.

I ran RE leaf packs and some extended shackles and it was fine. Let the leaf packs break in some.

stretch more often and spend some time on the elliptical? :dunno:

I'd go with the rest and say shackles, etc etc.

Yes, coilovers are an excellent option for getting lots of flex on a full bodied XJ. Cheap, too.

I ran RE leaf packs and some extended shackles and it was fine. Let the leaf packs break in some.

The leafs i have i bought used. All the coilover conversions i have seen seemed like it is a very extensive project and a lot of knowledge is needed for it. Maybe im wrong though...

Nice rig.
Want to go really nuts? Do a coil over. If you think you may go that way someday. Save time money, work on little mods and just bit the bullet and do it.
No other mod will come near to the flex a coil over will give you if done right. It can improve ride and reduce breakage.
If you can weld and use a hacksaw? It don't have to cost you your first born son. :)

Yeah, that's what we want, nutzo flex. :rolleyes:

I thought the reason for going from leaves to coilovers (or coils, air shocks, whatever) was to link the rear for better axle control and traction, and better adjustability. The links are the reason, whatever springs you use.

Once you have enough flex, after that it's useless. I went for mad flex and got plenty, with short arms and leaf springs. Then I started working on getting my XJ to work better and removed some of the flex for better stability and axle control.

The leafs i have i bought used. All the coilover conversions i have seen seemed like it is a very extensive project and a lot of knowledge is needed for it. Maybe im wrong though...

No shit, don't know what he's smoking. There's a lot you can do with leaves to get them to work well.

Yeah, that's what we want, nutzo flex. :rolleyes:

I thought the reason for going from leaves to coilovers (or coils, air shocks, whatever) was to link the rear for better axle control and traction, and better adjustability. The links are the reason, whatever springs you use.

Once you have enough flex, after that it's useless. I went for mad flex and got plenty, with short arms and leaf springs. Then I started working on getting my XJ to work better and removed some of the flex for better stability and axle control.

No shit, don't know what he's smoking. There's a lot you can do with leaves to get them to work well.

Thats what i though LMAO. Well i will try longer shackles. How are the boomerang ones?

The boomerang shackles are often misused. The boomerang shape is intended to allow the shackle to flex past normal limits presented by the back of the shackle box. To my knowledge, when they are installed properly and using a spring longer than stock they work well.

Back