• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this a header or manifold?

mcbrado

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.ineedparts.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=15343

I've heard these APN header/manifolds mentioned on here as headers, but they're listed as a manifold and I called and asked the company and they said that it's "a manifold shaped like a header for strength" and that it won't affect my gas mileage.

I thought i understood the difference between the two, but this threw me for a loop.

What's the benefit of getting this APN rather than a cheaper manifold such as this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0ffd80f4a&rvr_id=&ua=WVF?&itemid=310175938624

header/mainfold--Which is it and why?

Thanks in advance

from what i understood a manifold is stock or OEM. and a header is aftermarket/performance

get the APN its awesome and easy to install. dont worry about gas mileage...ur driving a jeep lol

I consider there to be no difference. Manifold would always be the correct engineering term for an outlet diffuser, header is more of a vernacular slang term for the piece. I have heard both terms used interchangeably. There is a bit of a bias towards calling anything aftermarket and made in a tubular style a "header", but since the Cherokee came stock with a tubular style manifold it is moot.

The APN is a good header but the stock replacement is adequate for most people also. I have always defined headers as made from tubing and a manifold as a usually cast piece that's not made from individual tubes.

Same here. i always referred to anything tubular a header therefore jeeps do calm stock with headers. its all a play on words. high flow equals high flow, doesn't matter what you call it.

In my view a Header is a Manifold that has been designed to the best ability to provide equal lenghts of all runners. A manifold just get the jo done. Look at "most" shorty or full length headers and they usualy hav tubing all over theplace to make all the runners equal, in "most" cases that's not the case for Manifolds.

I have the APN andI call it a manifold, the Borla or Banks would be a Header....

I consider there to be no difference. Manifold would always be the correct engineering term for an outlet diffuser, header is more of a vernacular slang term for the piece. I have heard both terms used interchangeably. There is a bit of a bias towards calling anything aftermarket and made in a tubular style a "header", but since the Cherokee came stock with a tubular style manifold it is moot.

+1

I think the words are interchangeable, so all headers would be manifolds and all exhaust manifolds could be called headers. The tube thing is probably what most people go by, so go ahead and replace your stock header with that header.

I have always defined headers as made from tubing and a manifold as a usually cast piece that's not made from individual tubes.

That's me too.. I run a pacesetter header in my 89 and have really liked it. But i have a friend who got one of the new banks headers and he claims a 30 mile per tank increase in millage! Not to mention it sounds awesome too.. That's what i'm getting for my 01 for sure. But not until after the head swap.

WOW, I am really confused! Just thinking about the term "Manifold" makes me think of Many Folded into one. Direction really doesn matter, neather does material type or composition or construction process. Wolfpackjeeper nailed it. Although I have never heard of the intake manifold called an intake header, hell, why not!

According to Dictionary.com a "header" is
4.Automotive. an exhaust manifold.

so all headers are manifolds, but NOT all manifolds are headers.

in my pea brain,

manifold:
155_0307_exh_3_z.jpg

header:
ff4.jpg

I used APN headers on both of my Cherokees and I am very happy with them. They are exact imitations of the expensive ones sold by Banks, only made in Asia. No problems with them.

tomcat, That's what I thought the difference was too. clearly, one is much cheaper to manufacture and doesn't have the thought put into it for efficiency, while the other is more streamlined. Ah well, I ordered the APN header/manifold and am looking forward to installing it, even if I don't see any increased performance.

Just excited to get rid of those leaks!

All Headers are Manifolds.

But not all Manifolds are Headers.

It is possible for a manufacture to make a manifold out of pipe, and it not be a header.

It is also possible to make a header out of cast, as Ford did in the 60's with the Gallaxy 500.

An exhaust header is a manifold design that incorporates individual tubes tuned for a specific performance characteristic, and end in a collector pipe. The pipes ideally are all the same length and diameter. Lenght determines what scavenging characteristics the manifold has, and at what RPM range.

The manifold in the OP's post, is exactly what the manufacturer claims it is, a tubular manifold. The pipes are not tuned to any specific lenght, and it likely doesn't scavenge any better than the stock tubular manifold.

Ron

Last edited:
^^ I think that might be the best explanation I have seen.

tomcat, That's what I thought the difference was too. clearly, one is much cheaper to manufacture and doesn't have the thought put into it for efficiency, while the other is more streamlined. Ah well, I ordered the APN header/manifold and am looking forward to installing it, even if I don't see any increased performance.

Just excited to get rid of those leaks!
Do not use the supplied gasket go get a OEM gasket, I am having problems with the supplied gasket . But other than that the APN header is great

^ Odd, I did not have a single problem with my install. How much difference is there in the two gaskets?

Ya, I don't care what they want to call it...On a stock jeep, that S.O.B. is a freaken header.

Back