• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wearing in front gears?

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
So I recently re-geared to 4.88, and locked both axles. Now, it's obvious how the process goes to wear in the rear gears, but how do you go about wearing in the front gears? I have a dana 30-disco (which WILL be converted to NON-disco soon) yeah, it's locked, so it's spinning the carrier constantly, but isn't it only pushing on the coast side of the gear? should I pull the rear shaft and just run front wheel drive (4hi) for like a week? otherwise, it just seems like they aren't going to get worn in...

I'd suspect what you suggested tayman (pull rear shaft and drive in 4hi) but that can stretch the TC chain, and I really know absolutely nothing about gear setup and breakin so I could be really wrong here.

So I recently re-geared to 4.88, and locked both axles. Now, it's obvious how the process goes to wear in the rear gears, but how do you go about wearing in the front gears? I have a dana 30-disco (which WILL be converted to NON-disco soon) yeah, it's locked, so it's spinning the carrier constantly, but isn't it only pushing on the coast side of the gear? should I pull the rear shaft and just run front wheel drive (4hi) for like a week? otherwise, it just seems like they aren't going to get worn in...

I wouldn't worry about it, just go wheel it. If you're worried about it just stop after it gets hot a few times when you first have it in 4WD.
I honestly have never "broke in" a front gearset ever, I just drove on them.

They will wear in just fine in a few hundred miles of street driving. When you do go offroad, take it easy for a couple of trips to avoid overheating the gears then you should be good. The main reason breaking in rear gears is so important is they are under alot of stress during normal driving and they will get very hot until they are broken in. Another tip: get some of those very strong magnets out of a bad hard drive and put them inside the diff covers when you change the fluid at 500 miles and it will prevent any wear metal from grinding in your gears.

alright thanks guys. that's what I wanted to know.

Back