• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leather cleaner and conditioner?

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
A fellow NAXJA member (Thanks kenallwine) hooked me up with a nice leather interior for the wifes rig. It does need some cleaning however, and i'm unfamiliar with the products and procedures of cleaning and conditioning.

What products have y'all had good results from?

Tips?

macquiers (sp)

they have a cleaner (mix with water) then a conditioner. one i think is a brown bottle, the other is black.

used it on my rx8 leather seats and they came out like new (3 year old seats)

I've used the Meguiar's Gold Class on the wife's WJ leather seats a few times with really good results. Just follow the instructions on the bottle. The only thing I'd recommend this time of year is that you do it in a heated garage/shop so that the leather isn't as stiff.

I've always just used Kiwi Mink Oil and elbow grease - haven't seen a need to try anything else.

Saddle Soap is what I'll get out if it's really bad - then Mink Oil afterwards.

Think of Mink Oil as a light-duty cleaner and conditioner, and the Saddle Soap is much more of a cleaner than a conditioner - which is why I'd follow Saddle Soap with Mink Oil. They both require a healthy bit of elbow grease to do the job, but that helps the leather anyhow (if the seats are really stiff, smear some Mink Oil on the surface and use your iron to heat it up and melt it into the leather - hold the iron about 1" from the leather, do not touch the leather directly! This is similar to how we'd smear polish on our dress shoes and then light them with a match to melt the polish in for a good base shine...)

ANYTHING is better than nothing. I'm tired of my friends bitching about the cracks in their driver's seat. Any man with any common sense knows that they must use a leather or vynil conditioner on their interior. Lol, come on, do you thing that the auto parts stores sell this stuff just for their health?? If you can find it, the old Black Magic stuff works the best for vynil, for leather, use any mid priced brand. Like I said, anything is better than nothing. Meguire's is the best for leather.

Back