• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found out i have dana 44 need lift kit

chris y

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so im fixing to order my lift kit for my 87 cherokee pioneer..was going to build bastard pack but rounded up some money so gonna order a kit and it says you need to know if you have chrysler or dana 35..but been doing my research and mine has the towing package and i have the dana 44.. so what im wanting to know how does this play into my lift kit ordering will it use same kit as 35 or chrysler or?thanks for any help..:sure:

should be the same. i also have the stock rear 44 and i just ordered a standard lift kit from rustys. perch width and centering hole are all the same.

Great to know thanks guys guess its a good score with the dana 44 in my 200 dollar cherokee time to order the lift..

i was pretty sure they were the same u bolts too but didnt want to say for sure. yea man, you got a deal. around here people will buy the axle itself for atleast 250.

Sorry, but my '88 XJ D44 uses larger u-bolts.
Best to measure your axle OD before ordering the kit to be sure.

Dana 35 is 2.62". Dana 44 is 2.75". Difference of 0.13". Depends on the particular u-bolt.

Ok i ordered the 6.5 kit rough country from adrenaline motorworks seemed to hsave great cust service and the ironman lift shackles and acs coilover adjusters should ride nice i hope when done..

Ordered the lift with the adjustable control arms do you still need drop arm brackets?

At 6.5"?

Definitely.

Robert

(Okay, you can technically bolt it together and run w/o em, but it'll suck. Probably the best $200 I've spent on my rig was my RC DB's.)

Yea it will be 6.5 plus my coil adjusters can give me couple more and the rear adjustable shackles so prob around 8.5 i just wasnt sure if i needed them because the other stuff being adjustable..where is the place to get brake lines for that much lift?

Rough country sells the brake lines

at 6"+ of lift. a slip yoke eliminator is about 99.9% required.

If you have an 87, you probably dont have ABS, so i advise you Upgrade your front axle shafts aswell... the older 260x joints that you (most likely) have should not be used on anything bigger then 31"s... and if you are going to 8" of lift i would think a 35" is the Minimal tire size.. so while your at it its time to Re-gear. (35"s and 3.55s is a no-go)

See all the lift manuf say to run 33 or 35 with trimming.. but im not going rock crawling crazy so im not wanting to take off my trim either so i was on the fence on 33 or 35 but not bigger and i might not raise it to 8 or 10 might keep it at the 6.5 not sure but the adjustability will be there..

your definatly stepping into deep water. If your just planning to run this as a street jeep you are going to be dumping oogles of money into it to satisfy the handles and driveline issues. On top of the SYE and driveshaft, you need to remember your steering needs to be addressed, and gearing will be something to look into. Not to detur you but just as they say "Test the waters before making the leap'

Back