• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 vs 231 lengths

shelbyluvv

NAXJA Forum User
How much longer is a 242 than a 231?

The reason I ask is because I swapped a 242 in my MJ and they were not available that way from the factory. I also swapped in a D44 rear axle. If it is only an inch or so longer I may be able to find a stock shaft from a 5 speed MJ with a D35 and bolt it right in!

I always thought the two cases were externally identical, as long as they are from the same year-range.

Thank you much.

I'm not sure about the lengths of the cases, but I measured driveshafts between the 2 and found them to be the same length, and have the same part numbers on the yolks.

I'm not sure about the lengths of the cases, but I measured driveshafts between the 2 and found them to be the same length, and have the same part numbers on the yolks.

I did not know the yokes were the same. I learned something new today.

It looks like a stock shaft from a short bed auto 4x4 with a D44 is the one I need. Thanks for all the replies and knowledge everyone.

Back