• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater making noises help

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
when i start the car and turn the heat on defrost or vent i hear a whistling noise, high pitch sound very irritating noise i worried somethings wrong any advice or has someone experienced this before?
i hear it mostly on the passenger side

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Sounds like a vacuum leak in the heater controls. You will probably need to take the dash apart to find the problem.
It could a hose that has popped off, a broken hose, a failed control switch or a broken diaphragm in one the heater flap motors.[/FONT]

What year? It matters!

If it's a late model they have a habit of breaking the arm loose from the defrost door, and possibly other doors as well.

One other thing, it's a proven fact if you call your Jeep a car it breaks down more often.

If the noise changes with the fan speed, it could be debris in the blower motor wheel.

If not, it should be easy to lay under the dash and find where the whistling is coming from, like a vacuum hose disconnected.

thanks guys i appreciate it
by the way its a 88 xj 4.0 6cyl auto trans
n thats for damn sure it definately aint no car its my xj baby lol
the noise changes a little when i switch it from vent to defrost

the noise is becoming more consistant especially when i accelerate but it still sounds like its coming from inside the glove box or close to it

I have this same problem, it changes frequency with different amounts of throttle. I thought it seemed to be more of an electrical issue b/c I am hearing some really high frequency noises, almost like a dog whistle but something we can hear. Is it a common problem for vacuum lines to come loose or break?

At first I actually thought it might be related to the heater controls since I had only recently started noticing it when running the heat, but even with the heat off this noise can still at times be heard.

2000 XJ in my case.

Last edited:
I have the same exact problem SeeJay, mine is a 2000 also. Mine only does it when it it really cold out, 10 or 15 degrees. To me it sounds like it is 100% on the heater side of the vacuum system (right where the heater gets its vacuum from under the hood, passanger side under the body seam). does anybody know where that plastic line goes to after it goes though the firewall? Just a feeling like its a rubber (or maybe plastic) line that is cracked or dry rotted that all i need to do is trim about 1/4" off the end of the hose and slip it back on and ill be fine...i just have to get in there and check it out.

When it's extremely cold the dry bearings in an old blower motor will squeal. You can test it by jumper power and ground to the loom connector on the passenger side engine compartment. Engine off, no vacuum, you'll hear only what the motor and fan are doing.

The fan is easily removable from the firewall, BUT the wheel itself gets really tight and will be easy to break getting off the shaft. Expect disappointment, thumbs up if you get it done.

I'm changing mine out - a 19 year old blower is pretty old and uses a lot of power.

If the noise changes with the fan speed, it could be debris in the blower motor wheel.

When it's extremely cold the dry bearings in an old blower motor will squeal.

The fan is easily removable from the firewall, BUT the wheel itself gets really tight and will be easy to break getting off the shaft. Expect disappointment, thumbs up if you get it done.

I'm changing mine out - a 19 year old blower is pretty old and uses a lot of power.

Could be either, good suggestions.

Try heating the plastic wheel up with a hair dryer. Plastic expands more when heated than the steel motor shaft does.

Back