• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear main seal

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
replacing my rear main, but i cant figure out how to get the rear 2 pan bolts out? also it is necessary to remove the inspection cover?

Thats an idea, but i need more room around the bolt head. I can get to it fine just cant get the socket on the bolt head. It is a 1/2 inch correct? Im gonna go try a deep wall

there is a metal strap between the bolts and like a rubber piece under the strap that wont let me get a socket on there. Can I tear some of the rubber away? This is on a 2000 with the AW4

That rubber thing is called a pan support. you can trim it to allow socket clearance and it costs about $10.00 at the dealer. The pan removal and RMS change are easier with the bellhousing cover plate off.
Joe

That rubber piece will give some...might be necessary to stick a small screw driver between it and the socket to push some of the rubber back and allow the socket to slip on.

Just went through this last weekend and was having trouble at the same spot..finally just got ticked off at it and shoved the socket up there and it slipped on. FWIW, I did not put that piece back on when I was done and haven't noticed any problems yet.

Its all torn down but i needed new seals. 2000 and up used a diff seal and are not interchangeable. Felpro #BS40183 is the one you need. Im waiting to get it tomorrow as they didnt have any.

The he heck do i get the new one in? It went in about halfway then stopped. Its not easy pushing it in either. Any tricks? I did soak them in oil a bit. This one is the block one.

Moly assembly lube can help - if that doesn't work, try loosening the bolts on the next bearing cap down. Remember you're going to need to retorque that bearing cap (and the rear main seal bearing cap) after you finish though.

Either that, or try warm/hot oil - the hotter it is, the more pliable the seal will be.

What got it in is using the little plastic "tool" that came with the seal. Slid right in. Now i just need to put the pan back on......

finally got it started again. Oil Pressure gauge shot right up to 80 and stayed there. I think my sending unit is shot.

Back