• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifting an MJ rear question

Jeff in VA

<---respect
If I add coil spacers (1 1/2 or 2") to the front of my MJ, can I use extended leaf spring shackles in the rear to match? I figure since the whole front end is disassembled, now would be a good time to add a small amount of lift. I really don't want to get into rebuilding the spring packs or anything major like that, just want to go up a tad. Would extended shackles work, with slightly longer rear shocks (and brake lines)? or is this not a good thing to do?
Thanks,
Jeff

Oh just go ahead and throw a SOA in there! YOu know you want to!

By the way I forgot to mention. You do realize the MJ has longer shackles already dont you?

And shouldn't this be on the mod board you "Tool"?

Ooops, I guess this is "mod" thing.....

SOA is a possibility but not right now..maybe in the spring, and say goodbye to the D35 at the same time :)
All I want to do is raise it 2" max for now, nothin' major. Just trying to keep it simple.
Jeff

About 90% complete. All that's left (major) is to install the front axle, which I hope I'll be picking up in <2 weeks. New rear main seal, resurfaced flywheel, new pilot bearing, clutch and throwout, new trans and TC are all in. Picked up a new speedo cable and TC skid plate from the U-pull yesterday, and am having the rear driveshaft cut to length locally this week.
Anyone in or near southwest PA the weekend of the 27th, feel free to come on by. Hopefully, you'll be able to see a 4WD MJ where a 2WD used to sit......:)
Jeff

Aren't 3" add-a-leafs only like 60-80 bucks? BDS makes a 2" add-a-leaf, but I'm not certain the cost. Wouldn't 10" long shackles look kinda funny? :confused:
Jeep on!
--Pete

Now that you put it that way, I guess you're right....:)
Maybe I'll skip it all for now, what with all I'm doing to it at the moment. It's not so much the cost factor, it's just that I KNOW I'm going to have lots of fun with all the corrosion and what not underneath the rear end. I'll probably drop the whole rear at some point and redo all the brake lines and hardware all at once (fun spring project). Gotta love those vehicles from up north!
Thanks for all the input!
Jeff

Back