• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GF's 96 kee died and won't start

RESET

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking it is the fuel pump. I had her turn the key on while I listened at the tank and I didn't hear anything. I pushed in the shrader valve on the fuel line under the hood. I checked the fuse and thought I heard the relay click. Is there a way to test the relay? I don't want to buy a new pump and find out it was the $5 relay. Also, does anyone know which wires in the connector at the pump should be hot?

Try swapping the relays around. The ASD relay provides power to the coil and it also provides power to the pump for the 3-second prime.

Guessing you didn't get fuel when you depressed the Schrader valve?

Correct, no fuel came out of the schrader valve. Is there a specific relay that you would recommend using for the swap test? Is it possible to jumper the connection?

If you check the numbers, I believe you will find that the ASD, fuel pump, and o2 heater relays are identical--at least they are on the Renix XJs.

Mark them, then try swapping them around to see if you can get the 3-second pump prime when you turn the key to the ON position.

A clogged fuel filter will cause a no start. Works one minute, dead the next. Change a $10 filter before you get crazy and drop the tank.

If you check the numbers, I believe you will find that the ASD, fuel pump, and o2 heater relays are identical--at least they are on the Renix XJs.

Mark them, then try swapping them around to see if you can get the 3-second pump prime when you turn the key to the ON position.

They are the same on a 96. When this happened to me, it was the cps. JIM.

I forgot to mention that I changed the fuel filter when we got it, it is just one of my things. I do a complete tune up on all used vehicles that I buy.

The problem ended up being the pump. I tried to get a complete assy for the replacement but parts stores only had the pump and sock. I searched around on here for a how-to on removing the pump. It looked like I could remove the pump without dropping the tank. The JEEP is stock. I jacked up the rear end and put stands under the rear "framerails" this let the rear axle droop enough to remove the pump assembly.

Back