• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag light stays on

bigblueishness

NAXJA Forum User
So I searched for airbag light and got alot of threads but,

none about what I have

my airbag light is on and stays on, does not blink, and gauges do not cut off or go dead

whats wrong with jeep, 2000 <--year
please point me to the thread to help or post your help

thanks

Time to pull the codes and see what is up. Quick question, does your horn and cruise control work ok? If not it *might* be a bad clockspring.

try wiggling the plug at the brain box... mine stays on but if i wiggle the plug it turns off... bad box. but everything else works great. i just quit worrying about it....

I have the exact same issue on my 97. The previous owner said his mechanic told him it was a bad mercury switch. Supposedly the switch sits below the rear seat.

I pulled the seat out and pulled up the carpet. Sure enough, there is some sort of switch thingy in there. I'm gonna replace it soon and see if that helps.

I doubt they can. As far as I know they use a basic CAN scanner which is only good for PCM and possibly ABS communications. Looking at Alldata it doesn't appear the SRS module uses lamp flash codes.

I have a '98 that has the same problem. But the horn and cruise don't work like Bryan C. says. I have no idea. I do know that my airbag detonator was removed cause of my big ass front winch bumper, but it hasn't always done this. These 2 probs are recently new. The horn and cruise used to work fine, and the airbag light never used to come on and stay on. I'm puzzled, and not everyone has access to a code reader.

If horn and cruise both don't work, that points to the wiring harness on the steering column or the clockspring. Was the wheel properly recentered after you lifted? Did you feel any sort of a tearing or giving feeling the first time you pegged the wheel in one direction after doing any steering work?

I'm just going to stick my neck out and ask this because no one else has yet. Do you have an aftermarket steering wheel? Took me about ten minutes to figure out thats' why my airbag light was on when I bought my new jeep, didn't even realize the aftermarket wheel.:anon:

im still trying to get it checked out, it is lifted and i did not notice any change in steering, horn works cruse works gauges work......for now, steering looks stock, but im still tryin to find problem

Some percussive debugging may be in order... i.e. yell your favorite four letter words while smacking your fist on top of the dashboard.

My airbag light comes on, when all the gauges stop working. . Try the ol "press on the gauges" trick?

My 98 has had the problem of air bag light illuminating and gauges either freezing or going dead for 10 years... The BUSS connectors have been replaced under a factory TSB, the pins have been cleaned countless times and I have even applied dielectric grease to the pins and buss connector pins....
My solution for restoring the gauges to normal is to briefly make a right turn with the turn signal arm and the gauges reanimate...
Sounds strange, but it works... and YES... I have checked ground wires, harness connectors and even had the JEEP GOD look at it....
The problem still continues... and I live with it....

Maybe we are the only two, shouldnt be that hard, pull out dash, look at wires, see if something broke, look around on :NAXJA: some more, or spend thouands of dollors at a car shop so they can TELL me whats wrong :dunno:

:doh: It doesn't cost thousands of dollars to pull codes. The module is unhappy about something it's seeing, you need the code to know what's ticked it off. You might be able to tell what's going on by checking here and there with a meter- BUT I'm not going to tell you to start probing around the wiring. If you were to accidentally provide power and ground to an airbag, kaboom!

So go get the codes, then come back and post up. If you play the 'it could be this, it could be that' game fumbling around blindly you'll waste a lot of money.

Back