• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt/Pulley Squeal

JeepersdoitDeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Ok..The belt is howling pretty good when I run my heater. Put a meter on the battery and whenever the compressor cycles on it puts a heavy load on the alternator. It starts squealing pretty good to. Replaced the worn belt and no change. Since the heater uses the comp for dehumidifying the air I need to cut power to the comp so I can still have some warmth until I can replace the comp. Since I can't pull the fuse due to other components on the same circuit, will it hurt anything if I cut the wire to the compressor?

Jeep belts need to be insanely tight in order not to squeel. Cutting the wire would be my last option. Tighten up the belt and see if that helps - this is a pretty common issue.

Did you get it insanely tight? I'd get a belt tensioning gauge from the auto parts store and test the belt tension. Do a search for the correct tension. In my experience, compared to other autos the Jeep belts are much tighter. If that checks out OK, find a way to fix the compressor.

The compressor should only cycle when you use the defrost. It should not come on when you use the vents or the floor vents. Why can't you use the vents for heat?

You could unplug the AC compressor rather than cutting wires. Defrost function might not work as well, but how in the world did we get by in the olden days, before AC?

My AC doesn't work at all. Unplug the compressor if you need to. The compressor, however does not run on electricity and should not draw your system down unless there is a short in the compressor clutch.

The clutch is what is pulling the draw. And there is no plug. The wires run directly into a grommet and back into the harness loom. I'm just gonna cut it and go. Will have to be cut anyway to replace so no harm there.

My AC doesn't work at all. Unplug the compressor if you need to. The compressor, however does not run on electricity and should not draw your system down unless there is a short in the compressor clutch.

The compressor clutch only draws 1-2 amps as I recall. I agree he should just unplug it for now. Go get the KR2 belt tension gauge and verify the belt is preperly tightened, check the harmonic balancer, etc.

New belt, 180 to 200 ft lbs.

Used belt (after 15 minutes of use), 140-160 ft lbs.

FSM 90.

Back