• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tapping a new hole in block

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
long story short I broke one of the exhuast manifold studs ig ot the bolt hole pretty much drilled out already , now can i use the same size thread... ie . bolt 3/8 -16 tap or do I have to go slightly larger ? Itdont think the left overs of the old bolt will survive the new cut threads

yes i tried to extract the old bolt with no avail

If it doesn't clean up completely, you could use a helicoil. Do a google search.

old_man said:
If it doesn't clean up completely, you could use a helicoil. Do a google search.

Tom I did have to get that coil thing.. a kit for a 3/8-16 bolt cost me 20bucs ..came with a tap and about 8 coils

I guess they are also sold by the name Perma coil believe it or not the only place in Vegas that had em was Peb Boys, and I got the las one in that size..
tyhanx for the info you saved my but...

heilcoils are nice because the tap is the same tpi just larger. I got introduced to them when I was racing motorcycles for a living back in the late 60's. We would take all the case screws that went into aluminum and replace them with helicoils so they would not strip out. We also got rid of the old philips screws and went to torx.

Glad I was able to help.

Someone should do an FAQ on helicoils...something like "What do I do if I strip out a hole in my block, heads, etc...?"

I found out about them from my brother. He is a mechanic and they are esential if you are working on any late model cars. Especially if you are removing heads.

Glen

I found out about them with motorcycles, i could never aford a new or nice one, so i always had to buy one that someone else had already messed with. And most commonly, the damn spark plugs had been cross threaded and now you could not get a seal there, A little coil, and you where good to go.

Helicoils are nice in that they often make the thread stronger than it would have been in the base material alone. I purchased a set of Edelbrock heads and they came prefitted with helicoils from the factory.

I do not know, is it just my hands, but I lost a lot of time with perma coil today. It managed to slip off a small hook on the top of the "tool" that came with the kit. By the time I realized it, it already went bad. Destroyed 6 coils in ONE thread this way. I ended up cutting a notch in a bolt and using the bolt to drive coil.

So is it my hands ?

update on this I didi manage to find the correct size at Pep Boys of all places ..followed the dircetions to the letter and wolla all fixed and ready to run..price was $26 witha tap and 4 helicoils

Back