• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft lenght ?

Hylander

NAXJA Forum User
So I got my SYE installed but I only have about 1/2" of compression available for the driveshaft.
Should I have it shortened another 1/2"

IMG_0069.jpg

What rear axle do you have, what transmission, and what did your new driveshaft come out of? I know you did your hack-n-tap with a longer spline section than most, which I agree with, there may be a shorter driveshaft you can pull out of something else to avoid cutting the splines down more and still be able to pick up new shafts at the JY on the cheap.

What rear axle do you have, what transmission, and what did your new driveshaft come out of? I know you did your hack-n-tap with a longer spline section than most, which I agree with, there may be a shorter driveshaft you can pull out of something else to avoid cutting the splines down more and still be able to pick up new shafts at the JY on the cheap.

My Rig:
97, AW4, 8.25,
Donor Rig:
98, AW4, 8.25

Hmmmmm. If you will have extra space on the other end of the shaft (i.e. at full droop with the wheels off the ground, there is sufficient spline engagement) I would try a front shaft out of an XJ with a manual tranny. Should give you around 1.5" shorter shaft - so make sure you have at least 1.5" of extra expansion space with the existing shaft at full droop, or it might pop apart.

Donor was a 4.0 right? I assumed that while looking at the Dana CV shaft catalog (google for J321-CV)

so know your SYE has cost what $200 but you have a better design it would seem?

Just over $200 with the RE *4 Shims
Don't know about it being any better, but IRO & RE's H&T are the only SYE's available for the NP242
I didn't want the RE Kit because of the Flange
Didn't get the IRO kit, cause I would of had to cut that shaft as well and I just like going to JY's :doh:
Its a sickness :eek:

Just over $200 with the RE *4 Shims
Don't know about it being any better, but IRO & RE's H&T are the only SYE's available for the NP242
I didn't want the RE Kit because of the Flange
Didn't get the IRO kit, cause I would of had to cut that shaft as well and I just like going to JY's :doh:
Its a sickness :eek:
I think I've read that the IRO kit uses a cut down version of the yoke which is why they sell the yoke alone for $125.

That last line is the TRUTH, its snowing out right now and I'm trying to figure out what to take with me tarp wise when I got to the JY next.....

Only ??? I have is where did you get the info that you needed to do the 4 degree shims from???

I think I've read that the IRO kit uses a cut down version of the yoke which is why they sell the yoke alone for $125.

That last line is the TRUTH, its snowing out right now and I'm trying to figure out what to take with me tarp wise when I got to the JY next.....

Only ??? I have is where did you get the info that you needed to do the 4 degree shims from???

How much Shim degree to use may vary depending on how much lift you have.
I have 5" rear and 4.5" front, I read a few posts of others that have done the SYE & Shimmed and took measurements of my own to confirm what I needed.
I lucked out and got it right the first time.

Good Info here:

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/index.htm

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index2.html

Just curious, how much did it run you to get the shaft shortened and rebalanced?

Wow, not bad at all. Thanks!

Back