• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose steering

Apostle

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search, but most of the answers are check the wheels for play.

4.5" lift, 89. steering is stock.

everything was fine except it pulled to the left. did an alignment (driveway) and now the steering is loose. it seems like the power steering pump is working 200 times more then it was before the alignment.

also, when i put on the brakes it feels like the fronts are not as powerful as before and the rears are 100x more. (feels like the front actualy lifts up).

i checked all the bolts and all the bushings were lubed prior to the alignment. prior alignment, front was around 1.5" out, now it is 1/4" in

any suggestions?

It sounds as if your new alignment has left the steering box off center when you're pointed straight ahead. I'm guessing here as to why, but would suspect the lift with a stock track bar, or that something else is bent.

As for toe-in, the factory spec is for 0, and although I think a wee bit of toe may be a good idea, especially when things are a bit worn, it's possible that 1/4 inch is too much.

Finally, I would also recheck that alignment. Make sure you mark the tread area of the tires, rather than just measuring from an edge. Get a big piece of chalk, raise each wheel, and rotate so that the tread has a big chalk mark on it, far enough around to be measured both front and back. Get a block of wood, or something of the sort, drive a nail into it and cut the head off. With the tire just a bit off the ground, slide the block toward it so the nail head touches the tread and leaves a sharp line in the chalk. Use these lines for your alignment. If possible, rather than a tape measure, use a stick with feet that rest on the ground, so that the height at both sides is the same. Remember that if you measure below the hub center, any measurement amount you use will be multiplied. But whatever height you use, it's important that it be the same both front and back.

When I do mine, I generally measure below the center line so that the stick can be moved around without hitting anything, and go for "a gnat's eyebrow more than zero toe." It seems to work well, since my Jeep goes straight and doesn't eat tires.

Back