• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good shocks for stock, but kept on when lifted

BBeach

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking to get some good shocks for my jeep before I get a lift. Im looking at the 3.5" super-ride lift from Rubicon Express and they dont have shocks. I was figured to get the shocks ahead of time but im not sure of something that would work for both stock ride height, or with a budget boost and then moving on up to the 3.5" kit. I was looking at a nice set of Ranchos but i cant remember the model number. Also, would have a shock thats made for a 3" lift make it so that when i hit a bump it will be hard and then id loft in the air a little? If that was the case, maybe I should just get everything at once. Thanks for any input, and yes i searched.

The correct shocks for the RE 3.5" kit you're looking at would be too long for stock height, wouldn't work well.

As a side note, spend the extra couple of dollars and get the Super-Flex over the Super-Ride. Do some searching and theres many many threads on the topic. IMO, well worth the money.

I wouldn't risk using the same shocks for stock and lifted. I got my XJ used and the previous owner had a 3" Rancho lift, then they used spacers and shackles to get it up another 1.5". The shocks were too short at a mere 1.5" additional lift, and it tore them up. I have RE Monotubes now, correctly sized for my lift, and love them.

Just hold out on buying shocks until you've got the money to do the lift. I went with the 3.5" superflex and OME shocks. I wouldn't want to spend the $200+ for shocks twice.

BBeach said:
Im looking to get some good shocks for my jeep before I get a lift. Im looking at the 3.5" super-ride lift from Rubicon Express and they dont have shocks. I was figured to get the shocks ahead of time but im not sure of something that would work for both stock ride height, or with a budget boost and then moving on up to the 3.5" kit. I was looking at a nice set of Ranchos but i cant remember the model number. Also, would have a shock thats made for a 3" lift make it so that when i hit a bump it will be hard and then id loft in the air a little? If that was the case, maybe I should just get everything at once. Thanks for any input, and yes i searched.
The part numbers that Rancho specs for a 3 inch lift are Way Too Short. I've got 4 used RS9000's that I'll make you a good deal on:D .....They were on when stock, and wound up being too short with 3 inch springs on. I'm with the gang...wait til after you've got the springs to buy the shocks!

Back