• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disengage no start with clutch engaged

RedChuck

NAXJA Forum User
is there a way on a 99 to disable the safety feature that will not allow you to start while the clutch is engaged

i did a little searching on the site but did not see anything.

I've never done it on a Jeep, but every one I've seen is just a contact switch (like the ones for the door jambs) that close the start circuit when you depress the clutch pedal. You should be able to locate it (top of clutch pedal) and either adjust it so the pedal never hits it or add a jumper wire across the terminals to close the circuit.

not sure on an XJ, but on my '01 TJ I bypassed the clutch interlock by putting a 20A fuse in the "trans" slot in the fuseblock. If yours is empty, try it and see.

Jeff

On my 2000 the owners manual had a note about disabling that. There is a small micro switch somewhere under the dash, on a wire secured to the clutch pedal I believe. It was buried in some oddball place in the manual though.

Back