• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle ?

WHITE93

NAXJA Forum User
i am trying to find out the gear ratio and size front end of my 99 cherokee are i was told the vin would tell me but i dont really no what to look at out of hte numbers. and is there a differance in the front and rear from a 99 to a 93. they are both cherokee sports with the i6 and a auto trans. thanks for the imput

the front end will be a dana 30 and stock gears are 3.55

With an auto tranny you should have 3.55 gears regardless of the year.
The best way to tell is to remove the cover and count the teeth on the gears.

so would the axles swap from one to another. i managed to strip the treads on the 99 axle while trying to do a u joint upgrade and have already done this on the 93. looking to take them and swap over to save some cash if possible

With an auto tranny you should have 3.55 gears regardless of the year.
The best way to tell is to remove the cover and count the teeth on the gears.

In 4.0 vehicles with the automatic you are right, 3.55

Smaller engines, lower gears (numerically higher).

your 93 will bolt right in. If it has the same gear ratio, then you are good to go. An easy way to compare is, mark the axle shaft or pinion yoke then block the jeep (to keep it from moving) put the transfer case in neutral jack the drivers side wheel up and spin the tire exactly one full rotation (no more, no less) while you count the number of times the front drive shaft turns.

If you do this to both axles, and they turn out to be the same than you are good to go ahead with the swap.

What threads did you strip? Just curious....cause a repair may be easier than a swap.

I might be wrong on this, but I think with only one wheel lifted off the ground, using the "count turns" method you have to double (or halve) the resulting ratio (double if you turn one, halve if you turn the other, I am pretty sure you double if turning the driveshaft.) Luckily normal/available ratios only range from 3.07 to 5.38 or so for Jeep axles, so you can always tell if you did the math wrong and reverse it.

If you lift both wheels and turn the driveshaft, you just count.

..... i managed to strip the treads on the 99 axle while trying to do a u joint upgrade .....

Repairing threads is easier than swapping axles.

Heli-Coil thread repair kits can be purchased from some auto parts stores or ordered on the Internet.

The ones that stripped are for the large nut that holds the end on. it was frozen so when heating with a torch i tried to loosen it and nowit free spins so i beleave the hub end is scrap now

The ones that stripped are for the large nut that holds the end on.

Threads for the 36MM nut that holds the unit hub assembly to the axle shaft ?

The Junkyards are full to the fences with Cash 4 Clunkers, stop by the junkyard and pull some spare axle shafts. Make sure you get a shaft with the larger 5-297x u-joints from an ABS D30 axle or a newer Cherokee.

Changing an axle shaft is easier than swapping an axle.

Back