• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad to mix different oil brands?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I was a quart short of oil, so I went to the store to get one more so I could change the oil in the Jeep. When I returned home, I realized that the oil I already had at home was Penzoil, but the new quart of oil I bought was Valvoline. Both are 10w-30 Full Synthetic, but just different brands. I went ahead and changed the oil. I didn't think it mattered.

Is there anything wrong with this?

No problema!

won't matter at all. Heck, I wouldn't even really worry about mixing grades or weights of oil. I might think twice about mixing diesel oil with gasoline engine oil, but I'm pretty sure even that should not be an issue.

Great. Then I'll never consider this an issue again. Thanks for your input.

Not an issue. Completely compatible.

Even if one quart was synthetic and the other was conventional, it is okay to mix, although you lose a little of the benefit of the synthetic. Mixing synthetic and conventional is how they manufacture "synthetic blend" oils.

Back