• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you change oil filter without making a mess?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
There has got to be a better way than how I am doing it. Whenever I remove the old oil filter, a large amount of the oil that was in the filter pours out and goes all over my control arms and onto my garage floor.

What do you guys do to prevent this from happening? I would much rather prevent a mess than clean one up every time. The only thing I can think of is moving the catch bucket closer to the filter, but it still seems like it's going to get everywhere. Thanks for your suggestions.

I haven't done one on an XJ in a while but on my JK I use a piece of cardboard to guide the mess into the oil catch pan.

I haven't done one on an XJ in a while but on my JK I use a piece of cardboard to guide the mess into the oil catch pan.

That's a really great idea. Why didn't I think of that?

I use a 3x4 foot metal drip pan. I use it for replacing transmission lines and doing other stuff too, and it's great for sliding all the tools and buckets and stuff I'll need under the jeep at once.

Back before I spent 15 bucks on the pan, I used to put the bucket under the plug, drain the oil, throw the plug back in, put the bucket under the filter/UCA, pull the filter VERY SLOWLY to keep the oil splash manageable, then carefully remove the filter, turn it bottom up, lift it out, and wipe everything down. Though I sometimes skipped the wipe down step and just considered it free rust prevention...

Very good suggestions. Thank you.

Use a Fram oil filter. All the oil will drain out into the oil pan every time you shut off the engine, that way the filter will be nice and dry for each changing and each time you start the engine. :doh:

Cardboard chute to the drain pan works for me.

I just move the oil pan under the filter and twist the filter until it's loose enough for a slow stream to come out, then wait till the filter is drained enough to slowly maneuver it out, still full. Last time I changed the oil I didn't get one drop on the garage floor.

Use a Fram oil filter. All the oil will drain out into the oil pan every time you shut off the engine, that way the filter will be nice and dry for each changing and each time you start the engine. :doh:

Cardboard chute to the drain pan works for me.

I don't know what sort of Fram filter you are using, but my Fram filter is still completely full of the black gold when I loosen it. It doesn't make sense to me that one brand would drain the oil and another brand retain it.

I wonder if the filter location or its position has changed at all through the years. Mine is a 99, and the filter screws on sideways, or horizontal to the ground. Maybe it's different for your XJ's year. I'm sure somebody knows if they are any different.

I'll also try out the cardboard chute next time :)

I used to use the orange ones with the black grip on the back end, apparently Frams are bad though so I'm trying out another brand. Never saw an oil pressure issue with Frams or STPs so I assume the issue with them is filtration quality related not pressure related.

As for angle, yes, it changed - the old mounting was nearly vertical, threads down.

Interesting. I always thought that Fram had quality oil filters. What do you all use and how do you know if it's better/worse than others?

I have experienced the low preasure side of using FRAM. Never again. I've been on the forum for a number of years and my observation is that most of the experienced guys shy away from FRAM.

I use Purolators or Wix. Since I change often, I don't like the idea of spending the money for K&N, Mobil or other high priced filters.

If you do a search on here you will find there are equivalent other filters that double the capacity as well.

Yikes! Paper end plates and low filter element area. OK, that's it for me on the Frams...

From what I can see the Purolators have the best features on that page. I might have missed some.

If a filter has double the capacity of a Fram filter, will this require more oil in the oil pan?

I mainly use Bosch (vatozone's oil change deal), Napa Gold (same as Wix but cheaper) or Wix. Amsoil filters are good, but these others can be had for cheaper.

Almost the only thing you can find around here is FRAM! Racks and racks of different grades of FRAM. I started ordering WIX filters from rockauto.com after reading the oil filter articles.

I've heard of people sliding a bread bag over the oil filter to catch the oil when unscrewing it, sort of like a condom. I've never bothered, just wipe the LCA and uniframe when done.

Back