• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

84-96 Gas Tank skid modifiable for 97-01?

xjh3

NAXJA Forum User
I searched this and didn't come up with much. I'm going to be replacing my trailer hitch soon and would like to add a gas tank skid while I'm at it. I'm having trouble finding a 97-01 skid and have access to an 84-96 one for free. Does anyone have any pics/info? I have access to sheet metal tools, welders, etc. That being said, if it is going to be a huge ordeal I'd rather hold out for the right thing.

Thanks

The late models also have additional sheilding from the exhaust because of the plastic tank!

i cut off the rear of a 92 to fit my 98. its a tight fit with a full tank. could prob use a 1/4" spacer.

Its not too had i did it for my 01, just put 2in slits at all 4 corners, bent them and then added some small peices of steel to box the corners back in.

Since free is a hard price to beat, I may just try to modify the older one unless I can find a newer one for dirt cheap soon.

Those of you who did modify them have any pics you could post up of what/where you modified it? Maybe an old and new one next to each other so I can get an idea?

Also, what have people done to reinforce these things? Seems like I might as well while I'm at it.

Back