• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lamps in Dash not working

bulfo4

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ 4.0L HO

I've got lamps in the dash that aren't working and some advice would be great.

Behind the AC/Heater switch, Fog Lights Switch, Rear Defrost Switch, and Rear Wiper.

All of those switches work fine, and do what they're supposed to. Just the little lamps that light up the panel itself (the ones on the rockers work though) when the headlights are on.

I've checked fuses and they all look good. And I've tried swapping lamps from another XJ, but that doesn't seem to help.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

Well, with the heater/ac switch there is a possibility that the light that illuminates the panel came out of place. It is really simple to fix, just requires removing dash insert and possibly radio (so you have room to find/fit the plug into the correct spot) Guessing it is the same on the later models vs the renix/obdI shoucl plug in top right corner of hvac panel and about 45-90 deg turn to hold it in place.

Yeah, I've checked that the lamps are plugged in well, but I didn't check the knob yet. I was thinking about checking that next. Is there a relay that goes to those lamps? When I get home I can look in the FSM (incidentally the FSM really doesn't want to show anything about these lamps (unless someone knows what the FSM name for them is?)).

Just thought I would chime in--I always get a little nervous when someone says a component "looks good". Check the fuses with a voltmeter or without power with an ohm meter.

Back