• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

performace throttle bodies?

calebhiatt

NAXJA Forum User
im new to xj's and im wondering if anyone knows what the biggest throttle body assembly can be put in a 91 to 96 xj and if it is really worth swapping out the stock one thanks

IMHO, bolt-on engine mods need to done in combinations/packages, especially on a computer control engine. i.e., if you open up the intake, you need to open up the exhaust.

The only improvement you might see with a bigger throttle body is better throttle response. It is not worth the expense of buying one and barely worth the time if you have the tools to bore out your own. Now if you have lots of other engine mods then it may be well worth the while.

Putting a 62mm on the stroker. Trailratethis does them with the stock TB. good deal too if you ask me.
Agreed about not needing it for the stock motor, but this one's hardly stock.

There is a guy over on cherokeeforum, that (match)ports stock TB's basically opens them up more for better flow. A different intake and/or K&N type air filter will make a difference (I prefer the Green Air Filter)

The limit is the intake manifold diameter. If I am not mistaken, it is 60 MM. This is the size of intake portion of the TB. Just bore it out full depth and it will match. The other trick is to remove the venturi in the intake tube, if you are using a stock intake system.
Although it is true that you should improve the exhaust when making a mod to the intake, I can vouch for the improved thottle response an reduced MPG.

Yeah I could be 2mm off. But there was a difference in response and lower MPG.. Whta the article did not addrss was the choke of the venturi in the intake tube.

BTW: I chassis dinoed my 92 with and without the intake system and did not see any difference in HP or Torque until the last few 100 RPM. Slight increase. Low end - no difference. So my experience says that all the hype about intake modes is not to be believed. You are better off ensuring that all the parts are to spec.

I also have 90 with with the only mod being the venturi and a Borla exhaust system, head to tail. THAT makes a difference! Unfortunately, boring out the TB on a 90 is not a great option. Neither is converting to a 90 style TB. Been so long I forgot. I also update the injectors a few years ago. Also a big improvement.

Yeah I could be 2mm off. But there was a difference in response and lower MPG.. Whta the article did not addrss was the choke of the venturi in the intake tube.

BTW: I chassis dinoed my 92 with and without the intake system and did not see any difference in HP or Torque until the last few 100 RPM. Slight increase. Low end - no difference. So my experience says that all the hype about intake modes is not to be believed. You are better off ensuring that all the parts are to spec.

I also have 90 with with the only mod being the venturi and a Borla exhaust system, head to tail. THAT makes a difference! Unfortunately, boring out the TB on a 90 is not a great option. Neither is converting to a 90 style TB. Been so long I forgot. I also update the injectors a few years ago. Also a big improvement.

Seen this?

http://www.strokedjeep.com/renix t-body.html

...But there was a difference in response and LOWER MPG....

You LOST mpg?!?!? Everything Ive read says removing the venturi will INCREASE your mpg a little, otherwise I wouldnt of taken it out...

Trailratethis does them with the stock TB. good deal too if you ask me.

that is who I will be going through to get mine when I have the extra dough

The only improvement you might see with a bigger throttle body is better throttle response. It is not worth the expense of buying one and barely worth the time if you have the tools to bore out your own. Now if you have lots of other engine mods then it may be well worth the while.

QFT.

There might be some small benefit to actual performance if you build a way-out stroker and use a bored throttle body, but that's about it. What you're going to see (and what is usually confused for a "performance benefit") is part-throttle response.

The restriction is not in the throttle body - if you want to move more air, you'll need to take a more "holistic" approach - cylinder head port massage, intake swap (potentially,) open up the exhaust (2-1/2" is about as far as I'd go for stockers, 2-3/4" for mild strokers, maybe 3" at the outside. I'd have to find the equations again...)

Back