• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FAN CLUTCH MOD??

ECBULLDOG

NAXJA Forum User
HI TO ALL. I HAVE SEEN MANY KINDS OF ELECTRIC FAN MODS ON THIS FORUM, BUT HAS ANYONE CHANGED THE "METAL" CLUTCH FAN TO A "PLASTIC" FAN LIKE THOSE ON CHEVY OR FORD PICKUP TRUCKS, I WOULD THINK IT WOULD BE FAR LESS DRAG ON THE ENGINE , BUT STILL KEEPING THE BENIFITS OF A CLUTCH FAN, I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR SOME INPUT.. :wave:

Actually the factory Clutch fan setup is pretty efficient compared to a plastic flex fan.

Take your caps lock off. Typing in all caps is considered rude.

Welcome to the Forum.

Ron

I don't think he is talking about flex fans.. which I haven't seen in plastic. Unless the factory plastic fan used on most cars does in fact flex.

It would be interesting to try though. Less rotational mass. Although I did post a question like this on some forum some time ago and I just got flamed for it.

HI TO ALL. I HAVE SEEN MANY KINDS OF ELECTRIC FAN MODS ON THIS FORUM, BUT HAS ANYONE CHANGED THE "METAL" CLUTCH FAN TO A "PLASTIC" FAN LIKE THOSE ON CHEVY OR FORD PICKUP TRUCKS, I WOULD THINK IT WOULD BE FAR LESS DRAG ON THE ENGINE , BUT STILL KEEPING THE BENIFITS OF A CLUTCH FAN, I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR SOME INPUT.. :wave:

Welcome to NAXJA, and thank you for using punctuation! :D

As Ron said though, lose the ALL CAPS, it is hard to read and seems like you are screaming at the reader. :scared:

I doubt if the difference in the metal versus plastic fan is enough to make any difference over the life of the vehicle, even at 300+ thousand miles. You would have to find a plastic fan with exactly the same configuration as the metal fan to even try and do any meaningful comparison.

Back