• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking While Braking

cherokeetroubles

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

New to the site and looking for a little help. I have an 94 cherokee country with an HO 4.0 L and and automatic. It has a 3" lift wit spacers in the front and add a leaves in the rear along with air shocks. The problem that has recently started is this.

While under brake load something in the rear section of the drive train started to make a light clunk noise that was speed dependent. IE slower the car is decelarating the less time interval of the clunk. Recently it has started to make one very loud clunk when under hard brake load.

I have removed and inspected both rear ujoints, the rear brake assemblies, the rear leaf springs, pinion nut, and the t-case output yoke. I have yet to pull the cover off of the diff to see if there is anything going on but the back lash seems appropriate and does not make any noise under acceleration or VERY LIGHT braking. I have been building custom cars for many years and this one is throwing me off. I have watched the suspension cycle during braking (not easy to do) and can not seem to pin point the issue.

I know one of you hard core XJ freaks can help me out.......

Thanks in advance,

I'll try greasing the slip yoke. As for the brake shoes all seems well, I just checked them again tonight. I did see a tech bulletin regarding later model cherokees that concerns the axle shaft where the brake mounts but it is for 2000 and later.......

Sorry to revive an old thread but searched, and didn't see a clear answer discovered in any of the posts.

This is a 99, 242, 8.25, 139k. 4 new ball joints and brakes in front along with tires. When braking LIGHTLY, there is a very low clunking coming from what seems to be the driver's side middle/rear. This is only noticeable starting at about 15mph and slower. Hard braking does not exhibit the effect, and I *think* it's not present when in reverse. I tried several times in reverse and *may* have heard it once, but never again. Really seems to only happen under very light braking going forward.

I checked the driveshaft and there does not seem to be any play in it (gripped with 2 hands and tried to wiggle it while jeep on the ground). I have no idea if the sound was there before the front end work was done as this is not my jeep, and I only heard it taking it for a test drive (my friend hadn't noticed it). There is snow outside and it's crappy weather for working on vehicles, so all I have done at this point was try to check the driveshaft. Oh, and looked at the ball joints and the front pads through the wheels. All parts said to be replaced were. Thanks for any help.

EDIT: It seems to happen about every quarter turn of a wheel

Last edited:
Try removing the rear drive shaft, and lubricate the slip joint on the yoke.

Late 96' and up use an "external" output shaft on the t-case which does not get lubricated past the initial assembly unless you remove the shaft and do it yourself.

Have you tried removing the rear drive shaft and breaking? Or have you put the rear end in the air to see if the same thing happens when you don't have the load of the vehicle against the suspension. Also look for any cracking around the rear spring mounts, and bushing condition of the rear springs. Whenever I have noise, I just convince the wife it is time for a new lift to fix the worn parts. This always works,but typically inherits some new noises as well. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions guys! All I've done so far was inspected the shock mounts, engine and trans mounts and checked the DS for play while it was on the ground. We're supposed to get another storm today so before that happens, I'm going to try to at least check the rear brakes and torque the lugs to spec. Another guy mentioned that the lugnuts were too tight and causing this on his jeep. It would kind of make sense since we don't think the noise was there before the new tires, and the place that put the tires on would have torqued the rear lugs back on with an air wrench. Idk though, that sounds like it would be too easy!

X2 on greasing the slip yoke,then "properly" check the u-joints(cant be done by feel,unless they are really wasted).

Try removing the rear drive shaft, and lubricate the slip joint on the yoke.

Late 96' and up use an "external" output shaft on the t-case which does not get lubricated past the initial assembly unless you remove the shaft and do it yourself.

I found that this is happening once the brakes are warmed up so I'm thinking it's a warped drum or something similar with the rear brakes. The weather hasn't been good enough to do anything with it really, and my troubleshooting is limited since it's not my jeep.

Honestly, I've never removed a driveshaft so that makes me a little nervous :( Biggest things I've done were replace shocks, waterpump, brakelines... things with the steering and transmission parts scare me since if I f somethign up, I'm prob. gonna be screwed. I will try to remove the DS though and lube the TC shaft if it turns out not being something with the brakes/drums. I've looked into it and it seems you just remove the 4 strap bolts, mark the position, and take it out.

IS this jeep stock? Do you have a rear ratcheting locker and is the road slick? The only reason I ask is cause after the first snow storm we had here I heard a pretty distinct clunk coming from the front end when slowing down at stops. Was real scared at first cause it didnt sound so good. Went through and checked everything and couldnt find anything wrong. Kept driving it around to see if it did it under certain circumstances. Only when I was stoping hard enough that I could feel a front tire skid a little on a patch of ice or snow. My right front brake was grabbing causing the tire to lock up while my drivers tire was still turning at ground speed. I was hearing the locker ratchet then lock. It was pretty violent sounding. Inspected and rebled the brakes. Problem went away.

IS this jeep stock? Do you have a rear ratcheting locker and is the road slick? The only reason I ask is cause after the first snow storm we had here I heard a pretty distinct clunk coming from the front end when slowing down at stops. Was real scared at first cause it didnt sound so good. Went through and checked everything and couldnt find anything wrong. Kept driving it around to see if it did it under certain circumstances. Only when I was stoping hard enough that I could feel a front tire skid a little on a patch of ice or snow. My right front brake was grabbing causing the tire to lock up while my drivers tire was still turning at ground speed. I was hearing the locker ratchet then lock. It was pretty violent sounding. Inspected and rebled the brakes. Problem went away.

Yep, this thing is pure stock! This ended up in the modified forum because I replied to an old thread and didn't realize what forum it was in before posting, sorry about that!

Roads will def be slick today, so I can prob try that out to see if a certain wheel is locking, that's a good idea.

Back