• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I disable the ABS in the rear

Hylander

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the garage right now installing a 98 8.25 in my 97 that has a D35.
It appears my D35 has ABS but the new 8.25 does not.
How do I go about this ?

You have to remove it all. You cannot just have the fronts and not rear as the ABS computer would sense a problem and disable everything and give you a warning light.

I did this same swap and removed all the ABS sensors, pump and fuses. Here is my quick write up.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=940577

IF you want to keep your ABS, I'm pretty sure you could move the ABS to your 8.25 as the brake backing plates are compatible, the only issue would be putting the tone rings on the axle shafts. Search google for "d44 abs inurl:naxja.org" and a general howto on doing the same thing with a Dana 44 will be the first result.

If you want to get rid of it, xj_mike's thread looks great.

Thanks Mike:
So I can't just unhook the Sensors ?
I need to remove everything ?
cant you pull the abs main fuse/relay and the dash bulb? why take it all back out? especially if you plan on having it iagain one day

cant you pull the abs main fuse/relay and the dash bulb? why take it all back out? especially if you plan on having it iagain one day

Ya' what he said ?
Also if removing it all, do I just cut the wires uderneath ?
Or is there a way to remove them without damage ?

So I get rid of this whole assembly ?

IMG_0032.jpg

Last edited:
Just leave it in there, thats my vote. Up here if it came with it from factory, It needs it if I ever need to pass a veicicle inspection, way easier if its all there and intact. Its not taking up much space or weight

The short answer is, no. but you will need ot pull the fuses mentioned. The bulb will be a little more difficult because i believe it's an L.E.D. that's soldered into the guage cluster.

the long answer is that the missing rear sensors will automatically disable the abs. but the lamp will illuminate letting you know.

as for the hydraulic module, it can sit there dead stick as long as it doesn't leak. it just won't work.

Don't cut the wires, you should be able to unplug them under the rear seat or somewhere near there. Then just cut the cable ties and unclip the clips holding them to the brake line and you should be able to remove them easily.

Don't cut the wires, you should be able to unplug them under the rear seat or somewhere near there. Then just cut the cable ties and unclip the clips holding them to the brake line and you should be able to remove them easily.

To late; they are cut :laugh:
They rear end is already installed

To my knowledge, this won't affect the CEL. Just that the ABS system won't work.

Just leave them, when any part of the ABS system is not working properly, it work work. So just leave them.

Removing the ABS relays will disable the ABS and turn off the ABS light on the instrument cluster.

The ABS plumbing and wiring can remain in place and the brakes will work normally.

One thing to note, if you ever swap the MC or let the fluid run dry, you will have a heck of a time bleeding the ABS pump. In the FSM, it specificlly refers to having a special computer hooked up to cycle the ABS pump to bleed the system. Without all the sensors working, I doubt you will get any dealer to do this.

I didn't want to screw around with any of this and removed the pump, sensors (yes, unplugged them), removed the fuse/relay under the hood and the fuse under the dash. No lights, codes or whatever and no worries with bleeding the brakes.

YMMV

One thing to note, if you ever swap the MC or let the fluid run dry, you will have a heck of a time bleeding the ABS pump. In the FSM, it specificlly refers to having a special computer hooked up to cycle the ABS pump to bleed the system. Without all the sensors working, I doubt you will get any dealer to do this.

I didn't want to screw around with any of this and removed the pump, sensors (yes, unplugged them), removed the fuse/relay under the hood and the fuse under the dash. No lights, codes or whatever and no worries with bleeding the brakes.

YMMV

Thanks for the heads up, I do plan on removing everything as soon
as I get time.

Back