• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Diamond Cut" clear style Headlights

4WDlifeform

NAXJA Forum User
ok... so it seems that XJ stock lights are more for the purpose of other vehicles seeing you. I need something brighter!

Here is something really cool (i thought) and would make a great addition to the styling of the XJ. Some "euro" (if you will) style headlamps!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

here is what is on my mind... 15 dollars!? :eyes: << that is the money i am saving not with Gieco, but with these head lamps!!!

Anyone have them? familiar with them? seems too good to be true... probably some leakage problems im seeing. I also found projector style ones too for about same price range. Its bugging me, cause for 15 bucks (and 12 shipping), how could you go wrong??

I've heard horror stories with cheap ebay headlights. There's a reason why quality brand name lights cost a lot. Chinese knock offs just cant compare to doing things right.

I picked up a set of the hid lights off ebay. The clear are 90 and the black housing which I have where 120 shiPped to my door. I have run them for a year now and they work great.

I bought some of these lights, thinking I could "upgrade" but like iwannadie says, cheap is cheap. I installed them, they looked good, the back part of the housing did not completely fit, the diffuser that the bulb sits behind jiggled with the slightest movement (thereby making the light jiggle), and they quite bright but they did not have any sort of focused beam.

They just puked light everywhere, kind of scary driving on a dark night really, you could see everywhere but straight ahead.

So, I put my Silverstars back in and upgraded the WIRING. All better now. Steer clear of those lights IMHO.

I picked up a set of the hid lights off ebay. The clear are 90 and the black housing which I have where 120 shiPped to my door. I have run them for a year now and they work great.

Are they true HID? Where do the ballasts mount? I'm looking for new headlights for my '96, and these sound interesting. Could you post up a pic or two? I'm curious as to where the ballasts mount, and how quick they respond to flashing, or switching between low and high beams. Thanks...

Lots of threads on this. Search is your friend.

Personally I recommend the E Code lights over the Diamond Cut, better pattern from the pictures I've seen. Loved my E Codes in my MJ, getting a set of the Hella E-Codes for my XJ in a few weeks.

Reports on the cheap stuff from E-bay is they work but the glass is thin so they rattle in the housings and the reflectors can corrode. No reports of problems with the Hella, even an 100w bulb. You can find the Hella's here http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=354

Those lights at $27 each (with shipping) are 1/2 the price of the Hella's but less than half the quality inho. YMMV

Either way, buy or build yourself a headlight wiring harness, at least 12 ga, 10 ga is better.

Yeah, I just installed a factory fog light harness- with the two relays- and added two late-model headlight sockets, re-wired with #12 wire. I left the socket pigtails long enough to ultimately run two more relays to feed the lights directly from the battery, using the original circuit to fire the relays. I currently have Wagner 'Brite Lite', which the guy at NAPA said were better than stockers. But, the junkyard bulbs in my '92 are brighter (?). I may try those items from Susquehanna. Thanks for the tip!

I upgraded to the visionx h4 conversion housings and some piaa bulbs, huge difference over my silverstars, still going to do the wiring upgrade for even better. (the visionx bulbs they came with sucked bad,poor lighting, real white and brite for 30 ft)

Kevin, if your looking for a decent light upgrade, pickup a set of sylvania silverstars. Autozone and Advance used to stock these, but from what I understand they stopped doing so. Check online or ebay and im sure you can find them.

If those still arent bright enough, upgrade your wiring harness for the lights light others have said.

I had another good writeup saved somewhere...let me see if I can find it

I upgraded to the visionx h4 conversion housings and some piaa bulbs, huge difference over my silverstars, still going to do the wiring upgrade for even better. (the visionx bulbs they came with sucked bad,poor lighting, real white and brite for 30 ft)

these are glass, and dot approved $70/pair, prob way cheaper down there

ok... so it seems that XJ stock lights are more for the purpose of other vehicles seeing you. I need something brighter!

Here is something really cool (i thought) and would make a great addition to the styling of the XJ. Some "euro" (if you will) style headlamps!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

here is what is on my mind... 15 dollars!? :eyes: << that is the money i am saving not with Gieco, but with these head lamps!!!

Anyone have them? familiar with them? seems too good to be true... probably some leakage problems im seeing. I also found projector style ones too for about same price range. Its bugging me, cause for 15 bucks (and 12 shipping), how could you go wrong??

I had some like those before one got smashed by bushes. They worked fine with upgraded bulbs "UltraVisions", those blue things look cool but suck for seeing. 500% improvement over stock for $50, if you add for better bulbs.

Ive had them on my XJ for the last five years and they have done just fine, I'd love a set of high end housings, but I have other things to spend the dough on.

Back