• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP BIG OIL LEAK

WHITE93

NAXJA Forum User
DOES ANYONE NO WHAT WOULD CAUSE A LARGE OIL LEAK FROM THE REAR OF THE MOTOR, IVE BEEN FIGHTING THIS FOR THE LAST 3 EDAYS AND CANT SEEM TO FIND IT. I HAVE OIL COMING FROM THE INSPECTION HOLE IN THE BELLHOUSING HOWEVER IT IS RUNNING DOWN THE REAR OF THE BLOCK. IF I LET THE CAR RUN FOR 5 MINS I HAVE ABOUT A 8 INCH DIAMETER SIZE PUDDLE UNDER THE REAR OF THE MOTOR AT THE BELLHOUSING ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

IF YOU HAVE OIL RUNING DOWN THE BACK OF THE BLOCK IT SOUNDS LIKE A VALVE COVER GASKET. Now my throat hurts!

I WOULD ALSO BET ON A VALVE COVER GASKET

How do you guys manage to not notice you have capslock on :(

CLEAN IT OFF AND CHECK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THEN CHECK TO SEE IF ITS LEAKING FROM UP TOP OR DOWN LOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAAAAARRRRHHH

It is amazing how much oil can leak out of the valve cover gasket. It also does a pretty good job of looking like a RMS leak, you have to look to see if the oil is coming from above. I replaced the gasket once, but I no longer use a gasket on it, I just used a ton of RTV and it does not leak anymore.

YOU GUYS STOP PICKING ON HIM FOR USING ALL CAPS AT LEAST HE USED SOME PUNCTUATION :D:D:D

OP, What some are trying to say is that USING ALL CAPS IS LIKE SCREAMING. It is also hard to read.

No one here wants to be a grammar-nanny. Well, there is one guy, but he is an a**hat. :wave:

Last edited:
sorry for the caps i know it means im screaming. i did that bc i have been screaming you stupid mother f***er at it the last couple of days and cant figure it out. i have replaced the valve cover gasket and cleaned the block and the oil still pours out. i took a mesurmnt of the oil spot 4 mins of warm up = a 7.75" in diamtr puddle. can the rear main seal cuase that much oil in that time frame. when the race car took a shit it was just a drip not a running amount like this. if this is the seal is there anyone in the chicago area who could help me i read the trans and front axle need to be removed to complete this in the hayes manuel

Yeah, that amount can come out of a rear main seal pretty easily.

Something just jarred my memory... are you absolutely sure it's oil, not really dirty tranny fluid? A friend of mine just bought an MJ that was listed as having a bad oil leak, we showed up at the PO's house expecting the worst and found that it was actually a pinhole leak in the top of a rusted out transmission cooler line spraying a thin stream of extremely dirty tranny fluid 4-5" straight up onto the side of the oil pan. It was streaming down from there so it looked like an oil leak. We were able to patch it up with 6" of rubber transmission line and two hose clamps and drove it home.

sorry for the caps i know it means im screaming. i did that bc i have been screaming you stupid mother f***er at it the last couple of days and cant figure it out. i have replaced the valve cover gasket and cleaned the block and the oil still pours out. i took a mesurmnt of the oil spot 4 mins of warm up = a 7.75" in diamtr puddle. can the rear main seal cuase that much oil in that time frame. when the race car took a shit it was just a drip not a running amount like this. if this is the seal is there anyone in the chicago area who could help me i read the trans and front axle need to be removed to complete this in the hayes manuel

the trans and front axle dont have to come out to replace a 2 piece rear main on a 4.0. a suspension lift does help getting the oil pan clear of the front axle.

Ok, rule number one of NAXJA club: You must always post year/engine/trans and any other pertinent info before asking a question. :D

Rule number two of NAXJA club: You must always post year/engine/trans and any other pertinent info before asking a question. :D :D

Rule number three of NAXJA club: When in doubt, follow rules one and two!

You will always get better advice when you share your basic info. Even if you have posted it a 100 times before, and have it in your profile. If you are a paid member you can put it in your signature, just another member benefit!

If you have a 4.0, the oil filter adapter, the oil pressure sender, the valve cover, the oil pan, and the rear main seal are common issues.

Don't rule out a faulty filter either, or the accidental double-seal situation, but that is usually a deluge!

As said by the other posters, the 4.0 rear main can be changed out without pulling anything the trans.

As the quick disconnects on the trans cooler lines often leak, as well as the lines themselves, be sure and give them a good going over. Can you tell by the smell of the fluid?

its a 99 cherokee 4.0 and i dont no what trans but its an auto. the fluid was right it was trans fluid but it wasnt coming from a line. the front pump seal was bad and it was running down the shaft onto the convertor and out the inspection hole. not really a bad fix 25 for the seal and a day or two of my time. my ? is has anyone else run across this or is this a comman thing with this setup thanks

Losing the front pump seal isn't unheard of.

Did you check the condition of the flexplate while you had it apart, sometimes they crack.

Great to hear that it's fixed! Losing the front pump seal isn't too uncommon, I think I'm probably about to because when it overheats it starts losing fluid from the same place. Just for future reference, you have an Aisin Warner AW4 transmission.

Back