• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission noise HELP

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
Last night my 99 XJ 4.0, AW4, 242 developed a weird problem.
After starting it sounded like gears grinding in the transmission.
It made the sound that the transfer case will make when shifting and the gears will not engage.
This one is from the transmission and it has to do with the ignition key not returning to the run position after starting. Once I figured it was the key, I positioned it in the run position and everything went back to normal.
Question, how do I fix it and what damage can I expect?

langer1 said:
Well it's the starter still running so lube the lock cylinder or replace the switch.

It is not the starter.
I moved the shift level to D and the noise stopped, I could drive it.
Returned to R or P and the noise came back, until I figured that the switch was the problem.
While having that problem I was getting ABS, airbag and PARK lights, when the switch got where it belongs, everything went to normal.
I think that the transmission cable in the ignition has something to do with it.
Id like to add that during the problem the ignition switch was hard to turn.
Is it possible for the switch and interlock cable to be out of rig?

Last edited:
The reason your noise went away when you put it in gear is because your neautral saftey switch is working. Its your IGN Switch. Same problem on mine a few weeks ago.

A quick shot of WD fixed mine.

mcnamaag said:
The reason your noise went away when you put it in gear is because your neautral saftey switch is working. Its your IGN Switch. Same problem on mine a few weeks ago.

I've been working on the problem. What I found is that the interlock cable had gotten partially out. I removed the lock cylinder reinstalled the interlock and reinstalled the lock cylinder. Appears to work OK.
Cannot finish the job becuse my son (his car) found excuses to do nothing.
Now he will have to deal with it. It will take some time.
Knowing what went wrong, what was all the grinding in the transmission?
Did something get damaged? What needs to be done to make sure the transmission will not run in to problems?

The grinding in your tranny is the starter trying to engage the flywheel. Thats why the noise stopped when you put it in gear you activated the N saftey switch which will kill power to the starter. The reason it is working now is because you pulled the ING switch and worked it free some how. TRUST ME!!!

Also you can check the teeth on your flywheel by removeing the dust shield.

mcnamaag said:
Also you can check the teeth on your flywheel by removeing the dust shield.

I'll do that tomorrow.
It did sound like the starter.
The more I think about it, the more I think you are right.
Thanks a lot bud, I was planning to pull the transmission pan off and check for chunks of metal and change the fluid.
You saved me a lot of trouble.

THANK YOU!

langer1 said:
No doubt in my mind why your son don't help you much.
You were about to run out of help here too.

Edited:
Thanks for the help, you were right it was the starter.
It took a while to see it that way.

Last edited:
No worries GOOD LUCK!!

Back