• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior air intake

Built2Flex

NAXJA Forum User
SNC01139.jpg

wont the blower motor suck the air the wrong way rather than charging the air into the intake?

Maybe it's just me...but that seems like a bad idea?

I'm not hating, nor do I KNOW this won't work. I just can't imagine an intake being inside the car works that well considering the lack of forced air inside the car. Let us know how it works!

~Scott

Maybe it's just me...but that seems like a bad idea?

I'm not hating, nor do I KNOW this won't work. I just can't imagine an intake being inside the car works that well considering the lack of forced air inside the car. Let us know how it works!

~Scott

Thanks for the input. I'm running no doors, no glass. I'm thinking there will be more air inside the cab then under the hood.

There is no reason it won't work. As long as the inside of the Jeep stays dry, the intake will also. If the Jeep stops and the interior fills, the intake will also.

The intake appears to be routed where the heater blower used to be. I kinda like a heater in my XJ.

Is it a fire hazard?

Ron

There is no reason it won't work. As long as the inside of the Jeep stays dry, the intake will also. If the Jeep stops and the interior fills, the intake will also.

The intake appears to be routed where the heater blower used to be. I kinda like a heater in my XJ.

Is it a fire hazard?

Ron

Yeah, no heater, but I live in Alabama. Fire hazard in what way Ron?

With no doors, no windows, no hatch, and no windshield, what's really the point of putting it inside? Maybe it's just me, but it seems like it'd be nearly as likely to take on water as outside...

EDIT: I'm not bashing the idea, I actually suggested this to someone who said they didn't like the look of a snorkel on the outside a while ago. How close does the hood (if you have one) come to colliding with the duct over the valve cover?

With no doors, no windows, no hatch, and no windshield, what's really the point of putting it inside? Maybe it's just me, but it seems like it'd be nearly as likely to take on water as outside...

EDIT: I'm not bashing the idea, I actually suggested this to someone who said they didn't like the look of a snorkel on the outside a while ago. How close does the hood (if you have one) come to colliding with the duct over the valve cover?

I'm not sure I understand your first question, but I'll try to answer it. The reason why it is inside rather than a snorkel would be personal preference. I dislike the way snorkels look. In addition, I will not be fording any water.

I have skinned the hood as well and mounted it on hood pins. There is no reinforcement under the hood, therefore there is plenty of room.

Fire hazard in what way Ron?

If the engine backfires and there is anything flamable on or near the air filter....:flame:

It's more of a concern in boats where the engine is in a fairly airtight compartment with gas fumes. So they put a flame arrestor inside the air filter.

If the engine backfires and there is anything flamable on or near the air filter....:flame:

It's more of a concern in boats where the engine is in a fairly airtight compartment with gas fumes. So they put a flame arrestor inside the air filter.

So that would include paper filters as well. In which case most everybody has a fire hazard.

So that would include paper filters as well. In which case most everybody has a fire hazard.

Yup! It's HIGHLY unlikely.... But not impossible. But like I said, it's more about boats and gas fumes.....

I seriously doubt you have anything to worry about, unless you like to store your jerry cans right under where your new air filter is....

Edit:

Although I never really thought about oiled gauze/foam filters. I do know for a fact that the spray on filter oil is very flammable while it's being sprayed, due to the propellant in the can. But I have now idea just how flamable the oil itself is.

In all the years I have been off roading and racing, I have never heard of a vehicle catching fire due to a hiccup through the airfilter.....

Last edited:
Back