• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skinning the doors into body panels

Built2Flex

NAXJA Forum User
SNC01131.jpg

They're going to be cut on an angle to match the cage, so that you can swing a leg over them. If that makes any sense. No open or close on either front or back. The handles are obviously for appearance.

That looks good!:thumbup:

Looks good but I would have ditched the handles and smoothed it out completely so no worries about them getting snagged on rocks or trees and ripped off.

That looks good!:thumbup:

Thank you very much.

Looks good but I would have ditched the handles and smoothed it out completely so no worries about them getting snagged on rocks or trees and ripped off.

Thanks man. I actually had them mounted w/o the handles for a bit. It looked smooth. Then I decided otherwise. Something to break it up a bit. I kinda like them on now. I guess that could go either way. One of those preference things.

I would try to put a cap on those skins if you are going to climb over them. I learned from building stockcars that a doorskin wont support any weight and will crease with the slightest sign of weight. You could rivet another piece of sheetmetal along the top edge, brake it into a u about 1 1/2" -2" wide then rivet the other side to the cage bar. Amazingly strong and no jagged edges to tear clothes. Skins looks good though...

I would try to put a cap on those skins if you are going to climb over them. I learned from building stockcars that a doorskin wont support any weight and will crease with the slightest sign of weight. You could rivet another piece of sheetmetal along the top edge, brake it into a u about 1 1/2" -2" wide then rivet the other side to the cage bar. Amazingly strong and no jagged edges to tear clothes. Skins looks good though...

Thanks for that info. Sounds good to me. I do not intend on climbing over them. No rear seat. Now I may use your idea on the front doors though. Thanks for the compliment! Very Kind.

Doesn't look like you have an internal cage yet. When you build one there's enough space to run the tubes just inside of the skins then a cross support for extra protection.

Back