• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pan Skid Plate/ Guard

Built2Flex

NAXJA Forum User
SNC01108.jpg

what in hell? You just bolt that over the oil pan? Id like to see an installed pic

Thats pretty awesome.

I don't know if its that necessary...haha

Thanks man. I kinda agree, but I made it for a fellow Xjer and he bashed his old pan on a rock. BTW Humboldt is my favorite county in the states (not that I've seen them all, but I love to boulder on the beach there) Lucky SOB.

I have no experience with oil pan skids or having used them, but how does the aftermarket mount them? Don't they usually bolt somewhere on the "frame" / body?

I'd be weary of landing on that thing, and having the entire front end of the jeep being held up by the motor mounts.

Otherwise, nice job! :thumbup:

Aftermarket usually bolts to extra holes on the engine block, and anchors to the transmission too....

Nth Degree mobility used to build a nice one. I think AEV continued the design when they bought them out - I believe Teraflex makes one very similar too.

Thanks man. I kinda agree, but I made it for a fellow Xjer and he bashed his old pan on a rock. BTW Humboldt is my favorite county in the states (not that I've seen them all, but I love to boulder on the beach there) Lucky SOB.

Haha thanks man, I have lots of humboldt wheelin pics if you want to see them! :rof:

Best county in all CA.

Rusty's is better because it mounts to the uniframe, rather than to the engine. Would you use a tcase skid that bolts to the tcase? Would you use a front skid that mounts to the radiator?

I'd be weary of landing on that thing, and having the entire front end of the jeep being held up by the motor mounts.

I'm pretty sure it's just for the occasional rock or two that gets loose. Not necessarily to rest your front end on. I'm not sure you could even do that in reality.

Rusty's is better because it mounts to the uniframe, rather than to the engine. Would you use a tcase skid that bolts to the tcase? Would you use a front skid that mounts to the radiator?

This has 16 holes in the skid that line up with the pan. It's going no where when it's mounted. 3/16" plate. Pretty solid.

Secondly, you're entitled to your opinion, but comparing this to mounting a front skid to the radiator is ridiculous.

How many inches did the front of the Jeep drop when you bolted that thing on? :D

Looks like overkill, but if it works for you, then good job. ;)

How many inches did the front of the Jeep drop when you bolted that thing on? :D

Looks like overkill, but if it works for you, then good job. ;)

Probably less than yours when you put your winch on.

Aren't all skid plates overkill? Isn't that the point? It's not for me..it's for a friend that asked to me to build it.

I like how you said "if it works for you, then good job" As if it looks like crap, unless it works. lol

dude! i like it! i thought of just makin an oilpan out of welded 3/16 plate, but that looks easier! have you tried it on yet? how long are the bolts you hafta use with that?
i think that would do nicely, considering that in most cases, you'd hit the axle before resting the whole jeep on it. how much does it weigh? don't listen to people givin you crap about it. many of them prolly don't even have factory skids, and would be happy to put yours on there, if they had a way to get one. you have to admit that it's better than wangin your paper-thin oilpan on the rocks....

I think it looks cool as hell, not to mention im sure it will do its job. The design is awsome. It looks way better than a lot of the hack fabs we have all seen.

I'm pretty sure it's just for the occasional rock or two that gets loose. Not necessarily to rest your front end on. I'm not sure you could even do that in reality.

This has 16 holes in the skid that line up with the pan. It's going no where when it's mounted. 3/16" plate. Pretty solid.

Secondly, you're entitled to your opinion, but comparing this to mounting a front skid to the radiator is ridiculous.

It's not going anywhere in relation to the engine, but it's instead putting all that force on the engine. Since you were building one from scratch, why not mount to the frame?

It's not going anywhere in relation to the engine, but it's instead putting all that force on the engine. Since you were building one from scratch, why not mount to the frame?

I guess I could have. The reason why I built it this way is because my local fab shop does this for all their buggies and they bash them all day during rides at Grayrock in Alabama. I haven't seen any problems yet. But to each his own. I will be honest on details when it is mounted and tested. If it doesn't work it will be removed and done a different way.

looks good! now make me one :D
Thanks for your kind words. My generous side would like to make one for everybody for free, but my wallet won't allow that.

dude! i like it! i thought of just makin an oilpan out of welded 3/16 plate, but that looks easier! have you tried it on yet? how long are the bolts you hafta use with that?
i think that would do nicely, considering that in most cases, you'd hit the axle before resting the whole jeep on it. how much does it weigh? don't listen to people givin you crap about it. many of them prolly don't even have factory skids, and would be happy to put yours on there, if they had a way to get one. you have to admit that it's better than wangin your paper-thin oilpan on the rocks....
I haven't mounted it yet. I would imagine the factory bolts will work, if not I'll adjust by a 1/2" in length. I haven't weighed it, but it feels like 15lbs. +/- a couple. I agree with you on the oil pan being thin and somewhat exposed. Thanks for your great comment!!
I think it looks cool as hell, not to mention im sure it will do its job. The design is awsome. It looks way better than a lot of the hack fabs we have all seen.
Thank you very much sir. There are alot of kind words there and I appreciate all of them!! Cheers.

Back