• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird noise

Brett J

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area. If so please direct me to the right place for this. I would appreciate it, however for my question. I have an 01 XJ and it has a little two inch coil spacers and shackle extenders. Now whenever i get on the gas alittle or let off, I hear a bad thumping rattle sort of noise. Could this be that the angle for the driveshaft is bad because I didnt mess with the t case or is it more likely its the u joints. Please help me. It sounds bad.

Welcome to NAXJA! :wave1:

Can you narrow things down a bit?

Did the thump and rattle start right after the lift?

When you installed the lift, did you install things loose, and then torque things down with the suspension supporting the vehicle's weight?

Have you crawled under there and re-checked the torque of everything that was messed with during the lift?

Try having a friend turn the steering wheel left to right while you lay under the front with a bright light (not the yellowish flashlight) and see if anything is moving in a strange way?

check your u-joints on the driveshaft. I had the same problem on my ramcharger. I replaced the u-joint in the rear and no more problems

its a jeep noise, they all have those ;)

i've gotten new noises the past few week's and i've came to the conclusion that i'll find out what those noises are once they break.

haha yea i guess that will always work. Just let it break and nothing is loose underneath. The u joints all seem good as well. My friend said there is alot of back lash in my front diff. Could the ring and pinion be out. I really hope not. I cant fix that right now.

I had this issue, it was a combination of blown out exhaust hangars resulting in my exhaust bouncing off the transmission crossmember and spring shackle. Also check your motor mounts and transmission mount.

a couple items that go bump with acceleration/deceleration - Motor mounts & transmission mount.

Brett... where in CO are you? If you're close-ish, we could meet up and I can look over stuff and see if I can't find where its coming from.
Call/text me, 720-220-3157.

Back