• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joint Test Confusion

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
OK. I need some help in understanding the test methods for ball joints for my 88XJ. Last night I jacked up each front wheel and placed a pry bar underneath the tire. The driver's side had no movement in the ball joints. The passenger side had a good 1/32" or so of vertical movement in both the upper and lower joints. There seemed to be no movement when trying to rock the wheel at the 9/3 or 12/6 positions. I have read several articles that indicate there should be no movement in the joints. However, I am confused by the NAPA web site, as one of the selections for replacement ball joints indicates that the stud does not articulate and that up/down movement is normal. Is strictly vertical movement acceptable in ball joints?

OK. I need some help in understanding the test methods for ball joints for my 88XJ. Last night I jacked up each front wheel and placed a pry bar underneath the tire. The driver's side had no movement in the ball joints. The passenger side had a good 1/32" or so of vertical movement in both the upper and lower joints. There seemed to be no movement when trying to rock the wheel at the 9/3 or 12/6 positions. I have read several articles that indicate there should be no movement in the joints. However, I am confused by the NAPA web site, as one of the selections for replacement ball joints indicates that the stud does not articulate and that up/down movement is normal. Is strictly vertical movement acceptable in ball joints?

no

Back