• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash Swap Possible?

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to figure out how possible it would be to swap my cracked faded dash with one not so bad, infact it has no cracks at all... but i have taken just about everything but the steering column out and still cant figure out how the dash is secured to the vehicle...

anyone have a good write up sub'd or experiance with the swap?

i searched but gave up on page 16 :hang:

ok there are bolts next to the windshield that you have to unbolt there are 4 of them. Then there are two bolts that hold the colom on that have to come off and then there are bolts right behind the kick panels towards the top that need to loosen up. Pull the bottom towards you and then the top towards you. then disconnect all of the electronics. I have taken my dash out like three times and just stripped the interior out of another Xj also

You will also need to swap the VID plate to the new dash. Too bad you are not closer, I have a "Like New" tan dash with the VID plate already removed.

What year is your XJ? I pulled the extermal parts and trim on the dash on my 98 in less than an hour. The vin tag was not part of the extremal parts of the dash.

Maybe someone knows, but what dashes will fit what years?

min is an 89, cant seem to get the screws close to the windsheild yet, gotta get a smaller screw driver, I'll give 'er a shot and take some pictures tomorrow

min is an 89, cant seem to get the screws close to the windsheild yet, gotta get a smaller screw driver, I'll give 'er a shot and take some pictures tomorrow

Not sure how close it is to the windshield but I use a little craftsman ratchet that uses screw driver bits instead if sockets. There sold in singles and in a set of 3 and have 3 different angles for pretty cheap. They can get where a screw driver cant some times.

Not sure how close it is to the windshield but I use a little craftsman ratchet that uses screw driver bits instead if sockets. There sold in singles and in a set of 3 and have 3 different angles for pretty cheap. They can get where a screw driver cant some times.

I use a Snap-On 1/4 drive long reach carburetor adjustment tool, it reaches in there nicely.

Back