• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frustrating rust fight on my lift install

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
Ok, so the rear leaf pack...on a 2001, by the way

You know how there is a bolt that runs through a metal grommet that is encased in rubber inside the rear "eye" of the pack...

My bolt rusted to the inside of that metal grommet, so when I spin the bolt, the grommet moves too.

I seperated the eye from the rest of the spring pack with a Dremel. Then used the Dremel to cut away the outer layers of metal that make up the "eye" to expose the rubber. Then used a carpet knife to cut away the rubber.

Now, all I have is that damned old bolt and metal grommet it is married to. I can't get an angle with the Dremel to cut close enough to the spring hanger, and I can't get my Sawzall to get a bite into that grommet.

So, knowing I have NO access to fire, I can't cut it off. What is my next option?

I am wondering if an angle grinder would act as a cut off wheel?

I did consider removing the spring hanger, but that bolt is frozen also, and I am afraid of the potential consequences if I break it loose, but it is also rusted to the grommet. So, this is not an option.

Big help needed y'all.

Thanks!

If it were me I'd just get so pissed off id grab a 20 lbs sledge and just bash it till something gives.. (done it before)

Probably better to just cut off the shackle and buy new ones lol

i had that same problem on 2000xj. i ended up just cutting the bolt head off and the nut on the other with a cut off wheel for my angle grinder. then replaced the bolt and bushing on both sides with greasable versions.

Cut the bolt out of the shackle, and replace it? 14mm x2.0 thread pitch x 120mm length (110mm L would also work). Mine came loose during my spring swap, but I've been told the control arm bolts, spring eye bolts, and shackle bolts are the same size. There's an OE part number as well if you search a bit (either kastein or ehall have posted it). I found 14mm x 2.0 x110 and x120 at the local farm supply store, at half the price of the dealer.

PN is 3420 2118, nut is 1150 2814 (I have these memorized now lol) - they're flange head M14x2.0 120mm class 10.9 bolts, and M14x2.0 flange nuts class 10. I just chopped the crap out of mine and installed new.

LCA bolts (both ends), spring eye blots, and shackle bolts are all the same part number in the catalogs - those nuts are also the same as the weldnuts in the frame for the spring eye and shackle.

As for getting that darn bushing core out, I would probably use a grinding wheel on the dremel and grind parallel to the bolt - i.e. the dremel's axis of rotation is parallel to the bolt. Grind back and forth along the bolt at each end (where you can't get the grinding wheel into the corner) till it wears through, then use a chisel or big flat blade screwdriver and a hammer to get into the crack and twist/hammer/pry/curse until it breaks free.

I ended up cutting mine out too. Just make sure you don't accidentally rotate the bolt back into the frame before you cut it off.....it can be a real pain trying to get it out at that point. Trust me. ;)

If you can get enough space you might try prying on the bolt head with a pickle fork or a similar wedge shaped tool. Might separate it enough to free up the sleeve.

Back